Topping off a tank / protein skimmer overflow?

Keira in CO

Bubbles!!!
Hi All,
I just upgraded protein skimmers from two (useless and dead) Sea Clones to a Bubble Magus that is KILLING THE SLIME !!!!!!!!!! I am running into skimmer overflow problems when topping off my tank..

Lets see - I loose about 1gal of daily via evaporation. The skimmer can go not more that 3 days before I need to top off the tank/sump. However, if I add more than 1 gal at a time the protein skimmer overflows.

I decided to top off using a gallon jug + hose and and a valve add a gallon ever 2 days. I was wondering if anyone had an ideas of DIY or more creative to top off a tank.

5+ years keeping fish/inverts :sfish:

Keira
Denver CO

Go with a ATO, Im finally planning on getting one this weekend hopefully. I top off about 1 to 2 gallons daily.

Im going to get the JBJ ATO with Aqualifter pump.

I use a gravity feed Auto top off with a float valve in the sump. I have a 5 gallon Rubbermaid on a shelf mounted just above the height of the sump. With this setup it basically slowly drips in water pretty much all day as it evaporates. Was cheap and easy.

Which section of your sump is your skimmer in?

Adding top-off shouldn't really affect it unless you have it in the return section.

Hi Erin - hey were almost neighbors :)

The new skimmer is sitting in the bottom of my wet/dry filter box. My old skimmers were hang in back. Of course this means ive had to bump up the water level in my filter box which now doubles as a sump. I'm brainstorm how to plumb in another small box for the return. I guess right now a 1gal drip is keeping me from abrupt water top offs. ill post some pics later for people to see.

Hi Erin - hey were almost neighbors :)

The new skimmer is sitting in the bottom of my wet/dry filter box. My old skimmers were hang in back. Of course this means ive had to bump up the water level in my filter box which now doubles as a sump. I'm brainstorm how to plumb in another small box for the return. I guess right now a 1gal drip is keeping me from abrupt water top offs. ill post some pics later for people to see.

I'd super recommend just going full sump. Skimmers need to have a consistent level of water to function properly. Most people keep them in the first chamber of their sump so the water level stays constant.

Also hi :)

Your totally right about the sump. My tank is 6yrs old and w/ that new skimmer in it has never looked better. Problem is that that I'd have to add two chambers for a sump to do it right. Kind of tight space. Plus, EVERYTHING has started to mechanically fail. It was skimmers, powerheads and of course now the CF lights LOL. I am pretty active fiddling with the tank and if I can go 4 days without topping it off (or abruptly topping it off) i am good. TY for the advice :)

I'm currently using a one gallon jug with just some airline tubing and a drip valve regulator to keep my water level as consistent as possible. Extremely cheap and easy. I set it up for dripping kalkwasser but am only dripping RO/DI water currently.

Back