Topping off

Drs1685

Reefing newb
So when exactly is the longest I go without topping off, I notice water going down in the sump but my salinity is fine should I wait untill it changes? Also do I top off directly in tank or in the sump

I top off into the sump, not the main tank. Gives the water just a little bit of mixing before it's pumped up to the tank. Topping off would depend on how much evaporation you experience. I live in a desert climate, so I lose about 5G/day in the summer months with my surface fans blowing, but only about half that in the winter, when I'm not running my fans as much.

Others can probably help you better than I can, but I would make sure you dont allow you pump to run dry. My water evaporates very quickly, so i am stuck topping it up daily right now until I build a new sump. I top up directly in the sump, I think this is the right place to do it.

You dont want to go too long because the salinity will change as the water evaporates, which can be damaging to living things in the tank. I wouldnt go more than two or three days.

Mark a line and always fill back up to that line. Because you dont know where the original point is, you might have to do some experimenting to find how much you need to add to get back to a salinity of 1.025

Back