toppling towers

reefer2b

Reefing newb
I don't know why I'm having such trouble with my rocks. For the life of me I cann't seem to get them to go where I want them. Should I put the larger ones on the bottom and smaller on top or vice versa. I've tried both ways; they just aren't cooperating. I had to stop for a while since the water got cloudy again from me moving the sand to level it out.

Usually larger on the bottom works best. You're going to have to keep moving them and turning them until you find a position where they don't move very much. You can also use epoxy putty to "glue" them in place or run cable ties through holes in the rocks to connect them to each other.

Great - most of my base rock is the smaller pieces and the LR are the larger ones. Oh well, since DH is out of town I've time to play around with it.

Hi, even though I am really new to Living Reefs I wanted to share what I read somewhere, and actually tried with success yesterday: PCP pipe in small 1 inch pieces. They have trillions of these little round things at Lowes and Home Depot. You can snuggle them in the sand as a base and then stack your rock on it. You can figure out how wide a piece of PCP you need to support your rock. The PCP things are like end pieces and cost about 79 cents to a buck a piece. They hide well in the sand if you get the short, fat kind that are about the same height as your sand. Good luck, Matti!

Ah, yes, those would be PVC, and not PCP. I promise I have never done PCP!! Truly!! Any luck with your Tower of Babel?

yeah by putting rock in first and sand in after it provides a stronger base as well. I would think that most base rock would be larger than the live rock unless you got one huge showcase type rock like I did that was just way too big to put on top of anything.

I still like little rock fragments to level up rocks against wobble. Also plastic childrens jacks and bio balls. They have some give yet they are springy which alows them to fill odd shape spots to support rocks. With big display piles there is the drilling of sets of holes and placing pvc in between the two holes to stack rock. You can even drill all the way through the rocks and thred it like popcorn on a string but use pipe and plastiv wire ties. This is especially helpful for ledges and shelves. Aragonite/calcium carbonate drills real easily.

yeah by putting rock in first and sand in after it provides a stronger base as well. I would think that most base rock would be larger than the live rock unless you got one huge showcase type rock like I did that was just way too big to put on top of anything.

That's the problem, I've got three pieces of LR that are larger than any of my base rock. I posted a pic in the tank forum. They are nice pieces they just don't balance well on top of other rocks.

Back