Torch coral not looking good?

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
I just had a look at one of my corals today, and there is a nice big green patch and IMO does not look quite healthy.

010dg.jpg

I get a feeling this is because the guy who sold me the tank said it would be completely setup for corals, but on my own inspection after reading the forums, I think I have nowhere near enough light.

Ive got a T5 light, but he only gave me 2x 24W globes and my tank is 60g

ill be going to upgrade this very soon because it sounds stupid having under a W per gallon

What do you guys think? is this t he cause? or could it be something else?

My testing kit for everything is still coming in the mail and should be here early in the week, so i havent tested my water recently, but everything else seems to be doing quite well except this one.

Yea, I agree with that, but would this be the reason this coral is looking like that? It has been in the tank for about 5 days.

I would think it's definitely possible...I don't know the amount of light required by a torch since I don't have one. How are your water parameters? Do you have other corals in the tank right now? how do they look?

It could be why it's dying. It will take longer than 5 days for it to kick the bucket due to lack of light though, so if you buy a new light ASAP it still has a great shot at coming back.

I have just bought a 150W light in addition to my T5 globe which is what was suggested for my size tank. So things should get better there. the other corals are looking ok, the duncan hasnt fully opened but he has still only been in the tank for 1 day. so I will give him some more time.

thanks for your help.

I havent been able to check my water parameters recently, but my new kit is coming on monday or tuesday, so I can check everything then, im thinking its ok and will be doing a water change in the next few days.

put some flow on the torch not direct flow, but make sure its waving around. stressed torches can get a slime build up on them the flow will help move it off. it looks like just 1 head closed up on you. it should be fine with the new lights. they bounce back pretty good

Thanks J4ant, im happy to hear that, he is looking quite a lot better after having the new light for just a few hours. :) i got a second set of fans, but it seems to strong for my tank? its a dual fan but on its own im not sure if its too much for the corals and fish, we will see though i guess.

Metal Halides solves all lighting problems for livestock. Also, check your water chemistry. Nitrates? Phosphates?

If that is a separate, distinct head that is sick, if it continues to get worse or develops a brown slime, break that head off and throw it away. Don't give it a chance to infect the rest of the coral, which appears healthy.

Ill see how everything goes today with this coral, but it seemed ok yesterday. Being sick, I had a really early wakeup of 4am, and ive noticed both my clowns have taken a spot on the sane, i think this is where they are hosting! other than that, they seem to like the long tenticled plate coral.

Im hoping this testing kit hurries up and arrives, I neeed to get into this water and see what the levels are!

Thought I might share this, the torch coral is looking quite a bit better, he still has a slight greeny tinge on some parts, but other than that is not shrivelled and seems to be doing quite a lot better

027uk.jpg

Back