torch coral

jnj

Reefing newb
We are new to reefing and have been up and running for about 2 months We started off with a few mushrooms and recently bought a torch coral after about 1 week one it has started to die or appears to be dying. any help would be great all the parameters are perfect we feed once a week with coral frenzy help plz

Pictures? Are you sure its dying and not just closed up? I thought the same about my torch coral, but it was probably just a little stressed.

what kind of lights do you have, where do you have it in the tank:shock:. (how high up is it on the rocks)

Hello and welcome to the site...you said the tank has been up for 2 months...has it gone thru the entire nitrogen cycle? That may be an issue...idk? Also, like mentioned, you need strong lighting for corals. And last but not least, are you using regular tap water or r/o water. Tap water will also cause the demise of corals. Good luck and keep us informed. :)

we have a 420/460 nm 700+nm w/ lunar light

moderate to low flow placed about 16" deep in tank

tap water is a yes

we have a 420/460 nm 700+nm w/ lunar light

moderate to low flow placed about 16" deep in tank

tap water is a yes

That is just color of the bulbs.We need to know what specific type of lighting and how many watts?Is it power compacts,T5"s or something else?

Tapwater is another problem.Heavy metals and other contaminants is present in tapwater.Corals and basically everything in saltwater are too delicate.Buy saltwater from the LFS or make your own with RO/DI water either from the LFS or grocery store.You can also invest in a RO/DI unit and make the water up at home.

It wont be the lighting, can you give us a picture so we can see what you mean by dying.. What makes you think it is appearing to die?

You have enough light for the torch coral.

For now,I say the combination of tapwater and your system is not quite mature yet for corals.

Back