torch still in bad shape

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
camera memory card isn't here yet so I can't take pictures yet. My torch which thrived for several months has now been not extending out for at least 3 months. One of the 4 heads died off because I irritated it with my hand during cleaning. I don't see any bugs or anything around it. Hair algae is growing all over the stalk. It doesn't eat any mysis that I try to target feed it. My other corals are flourishing with no problems

What would be the course of action to take?

Try something smaller Alto.I use cyclopeeze and reef roids.Otherwise,I not sure what else you can try.All the torches I've kept in the past slowly withered away except the one I have now which is thriving.

No don't do a freshwater dip,it will kill the torch.

If you think it may have some kind of bacterial or fungal infection then you can do an iodine dip(using saltwater.)

None of my fish go by it. When it was flourishing it was in high flow for a couple months, then declined and I moved it to a very low flow area. Now it is back in a good flow area but nothing makes it change.

Any chance salt crust form lighting or tank hood/rim fell on the corals? I've senn coral melt down from salt crust.
Check the tissues on tip of each head to see any deteriation going on. If does, dip in iodine soln and using syrynge to blow dead od dying tissues off in order to stop receding.

Torch is one of easier lps to take care once acclimated to tank. Check your water parameters. If algae growing on stem is producing any gas (bubbles)?

Was there any new addition next to torch w/ sweepers or large softies?

When adding water to system, do you add to sump or to tank. Just becareful when adding new water (f/w or s/w) so that it is not concentrated in one area.

Wish it recovers soon and Keep us posted

It is very odd though that one coral dies while others look great and are getting bigger. I wish I knew what happened. The same thing happened with my frogspawn.

geeze that sucks alto. im sorry. we had a coral that looked like a for sure goner. we finally figured out the flow it wanted and that it just wanted to reattach to another rock. i hope something works for you.

my hammer looks fine though and I have another type of frogspawn that keeps getting larger. So far both corals that died were on the same side of the tank. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I am gonna call Dr. House MD. to investigate this matter.

I cleaned off the hair algae surrounding the torch and moved it back to it's original spot. A second head has died off because of the change. So far two of the 4 heads remain and are still pretty much not coming out more than a centimeter. I've been feeding the corals and still nothing seems to work. May have to do with some parameters like alk or who knows what. All other corals are doing well.

Back