Torch Vs. Mushroom... What to do?

mng777777

Shark Wrangler Wannabe
So I added a torch a while back that was mostly by itself in my display. Somehow, a red shroom found its way to the adjacent rock and the two have been at it ever since. The Torch grew a second head and it had the shroom shriveled up and beat into submission for the most part. Lately the torch's new head is the one retracting, and the shroom is fully opened and growing. Between the two I prefer to save the torch and I want to end the warfare. The shroom is located on a rock that will not be easy to remove. Is there any other way to get the shroom off the rock without polluting my display and without removing that piece of LR? What should I do?

Well I have been blasting him for 1.5 hours or so. The shroom is clearly pissed, but the torch isn't happy either. There isn't a clear shot at the shroom without hitting the torch too. How long should it take for him to hop off the rock? I don't want to harm my Torch.

Any chance of getting something sharp under the shrooms foot and scraping it loose?
Maybe something like a hobby knife.

Well I have been blasting him for 1.5 hours or so. The shroom is clearly pissed, but the torch isn't happy either. There isn't a clear shot at the shroom without hitting the torch too. How long should it take for him to hop off the rock? I don't want to harm my Torch.

In my experience with upset shrooms they'll completely detach and start floating around. It'll probably take a little longer if its a decent sized mushroom. I don't believe the flow will harm your torch though. So have no fear!.... THE MUSHROOM SHALL SURELY FALL!!

you sure your torch is retracted because of the mushroom and not something else, sounds a little odd for the mushroom to make the torch retract.. you would think the torch have a more stronger sting..

params are all good, all other fish and corals are healthy, it's just that the torch and the shroom are constantly doing battle. The torch isn't fully retracted, he's just shrinking away in the area closest to the shroom.

well since she posted that, i haven't been home while the lights were still on so I have not had a chance to try it yet. Hopefully tomorrow won't be quite as long of a day...

After several days of direct flow from the powerhead, it was still holding on and I have finally had enough. I loosely pinched the foot with a pair of forceps to see if the metal contact would be the final straw and I left it for a little while, but I was more worried about the metal leaching than the shroom's goo so when it still held on, I took a razor and removed it from the rock. It spewed a bit of goo, but it's been a couple of days, and levels look good and all my corals are happy so I am going to chalk this one up to a win for the torch!

Back