Trace elements

photokaty

Reefing newb
Does anybody have a list of what you routinely add on a monthly (or however often) basis that they can lend to me? I have a 120 gallon reef tank with fish, sps, lps, inverts, and fish in it and am not 100% sure what would be the most beneficial and helpful for it. Any info would be appreciated.

I dont dose anything. I do a weekly 5 gallon water change in a 30 gallon tank. That helps with replenishing trace elements. I would also like to add, dont add things that you arent testing for. You want to make sure that you dont over dose the tank. Over doses can be just as detrimental to the live stock as a shortage are.

Some of the test kits for the trace elements can be pricy. So just check your salt to see what is in it and by doing regular water changes you should be fine. Unless you have a ton of stony coral and clams in your tank. In that case buy the test kits.

Ok so your 5-30 gallon ratio roughly equals >15% of your water, therefor in my 120 gallon-with-30-gallon-sump a 15% water change weekly would require about 22 gallons..... That adds up very quickly in salt costs. And I know it is good for the overall tank, but I do about a 30 gallon change every 2-4 weeks... So in that time period, do you think it would be worth it to add any elements?

Just food for thought.

It is usually recomended to do around 10% a week. I do 5 gallons because that is the size buckets I have. I would bet that 10 gallons a week on your tank would be good. Of course, it all depends on how fast these elements are being depleted. The only way to know that is to test for the elements.

I test for a few of the trace elements, and hardly ever see a decline, although most of the trace elements are present in such low concentrations that test kits aren't very accurate. Nevertheless, I do a 15 gallon (appx 10-15%) change every week in order to maintain alk levels. IME that's the component that decreases fastest, at least in my system.

And +1 BJ about only dosing for what you test.

The conventional thinking on this is that water changes will keep trace elements at good levels. If however you sometimes go more than a month without a water change you may wish to add a trace element additive. I use "API's Trace Element".

Ok thank you guys very much. :) Sad to say, I lost one of my bangaii cardinals today. :( Don't know what happened to the little bugger.

Back