transferring tanks assistance!

michelle

Reefing newb
Well, this is in relation to the DIY project I have underway (the canopy) but I thought I would start its own thread.
Ok, I currently have my reef in a 55 gallon. I just bought a 72 gallon. The reef is going into the 72, and the 55 will become a freshwater puffer tank.
I need some advice first on the order in which to tackle the things I need to do, and then on HOW to do it. I am trying to be as efficient as possible, with as little mess as possible (things are chaotic enough at my house without too much mess) and most importantly, I wan't to stress my fish as little as possible. My last tank move, (33 to the 55) cost the lives of almost all my fish.

Here's what I was thinking. I need to paint the back of the tank and the stand. So, I will do that tomorrow. Then I was going to switch the tanks before I start the canopy so that I don't have 2 tanks pulled apart in my living room. I will be able to set my 55 up on the 3rd floor of my house then and put the 72 where the 55 gallon has been on my 2nd floor.
Then Sunday I will start the canopy (which will be as basic asI can manage).
So, does that make sense?

Next, What is the best way to transfer the fish. It was suggested that I transfer each type of thing in the tank into its own rubbermaid container, (rocks in one, fish another, corals etc.) then start to stock the 2nd tank with 1/2 the water, then the rock, then the substrate, then rest of water and fish.
It was also suggested that instead of the first way, I pull the old tank out(it slides out easily) put the new one in place, siphon 1/2 the water directly into the new tank, then move the rocks directly over, Move the fish (they won't have anywhere to hide with the rocks moved), the rest of the water, then scoop the aragonite over.
I used the first method for the move from the 33, and everything died, but it may have happened regardless of how I did it.
So what do you guys think? What causes less stress?
ANY OTHER TIPS OR ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

If you are able to transfer from one tank to the other without having a staging area I would do that. It would save the fish from having to be "caught" one more time.
If you put anything in a bucket/trashcan make sure you clean these very well. I have herd several stories of all the fish/corals from only one trashcan dying while everyone else did ok.

what i would do is get a cooler and fill it with water from you 55. than but you fish in it and in a seperat cooler put you rock in it than drain all your water and move tanks and put your sand in the 72 rock than start filling with your old water and last put the fish in and the rest of the water doing it that way you should not have any trouble. when i transfered tanks i use my kids swimming pool for the rock and two coolers for the fish and coral i made the complete transfer in about 2 hours from putting the overflow bulkheads and plumming in to having running water.

When I went from my 55 to the 75,I did like James.The only problem was the kids "TRYING" to help.

i had the same problem the kids wanted to be involved in everything i would turn around to do something and they were all running off in different directions with rock

Another question. This may be a stupid question, but, when you paint the back of a tank (I decided to go black) do you, or how do you, paint up under the black plastic edging? I know that it would(in my case) be the same color as the paint, but you'd still notice the difference wouldn't you? Are you supposed to take the plastic off? and if so how? I checked, it seems to be silicone or glued on.
Thanks

I agree to the suggestion of minimized "transfers" if at all possible. The fish will be less stressed if you only have to move them once, from one tank to another, rather than from a tank, to a holding tub, to a tank.

This is the way I did my 55 to 240 move, and I did not lose one fish (I had 13 in there). I used all new sand, so I didn't have to move the sand over from one tank to another.

Filled the new tank halfway with new water. Moved the live rock and any corals that were attached to the live rock to the new tank. At this point, the old tank only had sand and frantic fish in it. Moved half of the old water over to the new tank, to create a mix in the new tank. Caught the fish, and moved them over to the new tank, one by one. At this point, the water in both tanks was cloudy from moving the rocks around, so it was difficult to see the fish that weren't brightly colored. Then I just filled the new tank up with water again.

I recently transferred the 5g into a 10g.

#1 - drain about 3g from the 5g tank and put it into a clean bucket

#2 - remove rocks and put them into the bucket

#3 - lift HOB refugium off back of the 5g and set it on the back of the 10g tank

#4 - dump 10lbs of dry aragonite sand into the bottom of the 10g tank

#5 - siphon out more water from 5g tank and put it into the 10g tank. Only a gallon left, but you want as much as you can save

#6 - pick up the 5g tank and get it outta the way because the 10g tank is going back in the same spot

#7 - put the 10g tank on the stand (filing cabinet)

#8 - put rocks from bucket into 10g tank

#9 - put water from bucket into 10g tank

#10 - trap Striper (evil 6-line wrasse) in PVC pipe and lift him and the pipe out of the 5g tank and into the 10g tank

#11 - plug in all the BS (lights, pumps, heaters)

# 12 - get new saltwater from my mixing bucket and fill 10g

#13 - have several beers while I freak out over killing everything

Woke up the next morning to a crystal clear tank and happy corals. Didn't poke my 6-line with any Q-tips or shake any rocks. He's just fine after spending a night wedged up in a tiny hole in the rock.

Wait, what, FRESHWATER?!?! :shock:
Lol. I KNOW! It was supposed to be a marine puffer. I wanted a porcupine, but apparently they get too big for it, and my LFs says so will a lionfish. I have an obsession with puffers, so, it seems that freshawater ones are the only way I can go.
I had thought ofa valentini, I love them, but the lfs guy says it would be just him in there, bc other FO fish would out grow my tank:(

#10 - trap Striper (evil 6-line wrasse) in PVC pipe and lift him and the pipe out of the 5g tank and into the 10g tank

Yours is evil too hey? Mine is fine with everyone except the royal gramma that went into the tank after him. To him, he is evil. And a FRIGGER to catch. How does that pvc trick work?

I agree to the suggestion of minimized "transfers" if at all possible. The fish will be less stressed if you only have to move them once, from one tank to another, rather than from a tank, to a holding tub, to a tank.

This is the way I did my 55 to 240 move, and I did not lose one fish (I had 13 in there). I used all new sand, so I didn't have to move the sand over from one tank to another.

Filled the new tank halfway with new water. Moved the live rock and any corals that were attached to the live rock to the new tank. At this point, the old tank only had sand and frantic fish in it. Moved half of the old water over to the new tank, to create a mix in the new tank. Caught the fish, and moved them over to the new tank, one by one. At this point, the water in both tanks was cloudy from moving the rocks around, so it was difficult to see the fish that weren't brightly colored. Then I just filled the new tank up with water again.
This is how I will try it too I think, just a question, my sand; If added last, it will definately be very cloudy water in the new tank...will this cause trouble for the fish?

Yours is evil too hey? Mine is fine with everyone except the royal gramma that went into the tank after him. To him, he is evil. And a FRIGGER to catch. How does that pvc trick work?

The PVC pipe is black. It's just a 2" , 90 degree elbow. He sleeps in there and hides when he's scared. I started moving rocks and he swam in and hunkered down. I just put my hand over each end and swooped him up. He had no time to run.

once all my rock is out, if i put a pieace of pvc in, it could work the same way for a number of my fish that hide well, and are too fast for me. Thanks for the idea.

I am getting ready for a big move also. BUT..... I was told not to use the sand in the tank until it is rinsed VERY VERY good. Becuase once you mix it up, all kinds of BAd things will be released from inside the sand bed. I am going to put a new bag of LIVE SAND in then rinse as much of the old sand I can use . GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING. At least you are moving in one place I have to move about 6 miles away !!

If you have a DSB then you don't want to disturb it during a tank move.

But if it's just 1" of sand, no big deal. There's oxygen all the way down through 1" of sand, so any bacteria in there will be fine if some go to the bottom and some go to the top when you pour the sand into the new tank. It's all the same.

Digging up a 6" DSB and moving layers from the bottom up to the top is a recipe for disaster. DON'T move a DSB during a tank transfer. Better to just use new sand and let it "grow" over time. Dump 6" of new sand in and let it go.

If you have a DSB then you don't want to disturb it during a tank move.

But if it's just 1" of sand, no big deal. There's oxygen all the way down through 1" of sand, so any bacteria in there will be fine if some go to the bottom and some go to the top when you pour the sand into the new tank. It's all the same.

Digging up a 6" DSB and moving layers from the bottom up to the top is a recipe for disaster. DON'T move a DSB during a tank transfer. Better to just use new sand and let it "grow" over time. Dump 6" of new sand in and let it go.

Thanks for the heads up, but it's only about 1.5 inches deep. So, does that mean I needn't wash it?

Also, just wondering, I have 2 filters running on my tank right now. both are aquaclear 70-90 gallon versions. Do they accomplish anything other then waterflow and maybe polishing? I have about 70lbs of live rock right now and about 50lb live sand.
Thank you!

Try to siphon off any detritus from the sand before you move it. You don't need to rinse such a shallow amount, but what I did when I switched fuges a couple weeks ago was scoop up the sand in a little plastic juice pitcher, with some water. Then I'd shake the pitcher and pour the water off the top in the yard. This got rid of a lot of the gunk that was in the sand, but didn't take as long as rinsing all the sand. Be sure to only use saltwater, or your bacteria will be killed.

Back