Treating Ick Question

grdpder

Reefing newb
Hi All -

I have two of my fish in a quaratine tank (QT). A clown fish and a bi-color dottyback. I've treated them with Organi-Cure. They've been in the QT for about a week now. They look fine. How much longer should I keep them there before putting them back into my reef tank?

BY the way, my two other green damsels and orange spotted goby in the reef tank looks fine.

Thanks in advance.

David

There's actually 2 schools of thought on that issue.
#1 Says to QT all the fish for 8 to 10 weeks and let the Ick go through its life cycle.That's supposed to completely rid your tank of the parasite.

#2 Is to let the fishes immune system fight the Ick off and limit as much stress as possible.

Personally,I subscribe to #2.Never had a fish get Ick that I know of.

I've never had a fish die of ich either. If you're fish are healthy and eating, they should be able to fight off ich on their own. But if your old fish in the tank have not been QTed then you're wasting your time QTing the current fish.

I've never had a fish die of ich either. If you're fish are healthy and eating, they should be able to fight off ich on their own. But if your old fish in the tank have not been QTed then you're wasting your time QTing the current fish.

thanks for your advice. the other three, two grn damsels and a orange spotted goby are doing very well...at least for now. my two that i put in my QT is looking a lot better, swimming around and eating well. crossing my fingers.

David

Were the 2 fish in qt already been in the tank when they showed signs of ich? It's possible they got it cuz the damsels were picking on them and stressed them. Just FYI, if they were already in the tank, the tank already has ich. Your damsels just aren't showing signs cuz they're not stressed. As soon as you put your clown and dottyback back in, the damsels might stress them again, and you'll have another outbreak. Plus since you've taken those two out of the tank hierarchy, if the damsels didn't pick on them before, they most like will pick on them now.

I firmly believe in using a UV light. I added 6 Tangs to my tank all at once one week ago today. I have not seen one single speck on any of them. I got them from Dr. Fosters & Smith. Maybe they came pretreated?

I firmly believe in using a UV light. I added 6 Tangs to my tank all at once one week ago today. I have not seen one single speck on any of them. I got them from Dr. Fosters & Smith. Maybe they came pretreated?

Only if you got them from Diver's Den. I've been told that the main LA facility is no more then a wholesaler warehouse. It could be a lie but, DD has the only treated fish from that site.

Thanks Brian. I got them from the CA facility, so they must not have been pretreated. I credit the UV light them.

The UV will kill the ich that is in the water column that passes through it, but it will not do anything for the ich if it is on the fish. In your case, it is probably not the UV light, but good water quality and a stress-free environment, which is just as important in preventing ich outbreaks.

The UV will kill the ich that is in the water column that passes through it, but it will not do anything for the ich if it is on the fish. In your case, it is probably not the UV light, but good water quality and a stress-free environment, which is just as important in preventing ich outbreaks.

............. and a lot of luck! :x:

Back