Trimming Chaeto

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
What is the proper way to trim chaeto? I have a lot of little critters residing within the plant itself, and I wouldn't want to inadvertantly chop off the arm of the mini brittle stars in there or something. Do you trim it underwater? Attempt to rinse out all the critters first?

typically you don't see it grow out much at first...it starts growing inward, getting dense first, then it grows out. Plus, it needs good flow and light; could be why you haven't "seen" the growth as of yet

it starts growing inward, getting dense first, then it grows out

Kid-
I guess you're right. I just got another clump of chaeto from the LFS and it is MUCH looser than my existing stuff. I guess I just didn't notice how thickly it was growing.

Biff-
When I pulled it apart, I did take some of the darker green stuff out. Can I feed it to my tang and foxface, or should I just chuck it?

My yellow tang and my hermit LOVE Chaeto...Sea hare loved it a little too much and gorged himself to death :sad:

So, I'd try it...the only thing I'll warn you about is that when they eat it, they'll miss little strands and it can end up in your powerheads :frustrat: ...other than that, it's a good snack

I ripped off half of mine a few months ago and gave it to my lfs for store credit. Since then, they keep bugging me for more when I'm there. Hehehe.

Ii didn't get any growth from my first ball in 4 months. It died. So I got a new ball, upped the lighting (currently using a 23 watt cfl, 6500k), and in 3 months, the new ball grew like a weed. I have minimal flow into my fuge, too.

Live aquaria sells it...pretty much any online shop I've been to that sold Marine plants, sold Chaeto...seems to be a staple

I got mine on ebay. I think it was around 10 bucks for a baseball sized clump. I couldn't find it locally either.

When I was looking for cheato I looked at all the lfs around and never found any for sale. Then I asked at one store and he pulled some out of their fuge for me to buy. They never had a sign for it or anything and they had other types in tanks with prices but not cheato. I think I ended up with a better product full of life because it was in the running fuge.

two of my LFS's sell it for like $7 a cup, the third one doesn't sell any plants... :12: maybe it's just not that popular in Texas

Back