Trip to LFS yesterday got great buys!

Hmm does not look happy at all. If it's been in there for a couple days, it should have perked up by now. Leave the branch in, that's how they reproduce. As with your kenya trees, they do look like this when they are preparing to drop babies. But that's what we said about your kenyas, and they ended up dying :(.

Do you have any other corals or inverts in your tank? Are they all doing okay?

yes I have several shrooms that were given to me and anaother one that looks like a Kenya only glowing green color. All of them are great!

It does look a little sad but it doesn't look like its melting.I say give it more time and maybe try having the flow updraft,that always seem to keep softies from slumping over.

:pooh: it's dead! total mush glob on the sand. I took it out scrubbed the LR as much as possible. Tested water yesterday and everything was great. Will test again tonite. Should I just keep testing for Nitrates to spike? do I need to watch any other levels for spiking? If Nitrates do go up is that just a water change fix or am I going to need something else?

Have several shrooms , another coral that looks like a green kenya, pulsing xenias, Tons of Paly's or Zoo's (I'm not sure which as they were hitchhikers) and they are all looking fine but I don't want anyone else to die.

Hmm
Did that coral come from the same store as the kenyas you lost?
What kind of light were they under at the LFS?

If you have a nitrate spike,then water changes will take care of it.
With your other corals doing good,it really dont make any since.

Unless maybe you got more light than the LFS and burned them.

The Kenyas I came on my LR and I had them for just under 3 months they even survived what little cycle I had with start up, then just died.:confused:

The Lemnalia I got last Friday from a different store that had just got them in as a shipment that day. In the store they were under the exact same lights as I have. While we're talking lights I have a 260 w Pc over my 55 gal that is enough for soft corals right?

I say you have enough light for soft coral, my pc is about 2.3 wats per gal and heres what i got plus i got a new pack of green shrooms

Last edited:
I'll third it,you have plenty of light for softies.Lemnalias are more way more difficult coral than Kenyas.I don't know what cause there demise but keep checking ammonia,nitrite and nitrate just to make sure it didn't cause a spike.It wouldn't hurt to ask them to hold it for a week to make sure the coral is doing well.

Nobody eating them, they just rotted at the base and turned to mush!? all I have in there are 2 Ocell. Clowns, Lawnmower Blenny, Mandarin, Allen damsel, lots of brittle stars, 6 snails and a few bristle worms one of which I just saw yesterday and he is very big and very ugly. EWWWWW!

The brown jelly infection is a bacterial/fungal disease that infects LPS corals.Gonioporas are the most sensitive to that infection but even softies to a lesser degree can get also.The disease is brutal,I had a Sinularia that got it.IMO,early detection and treatment is the only way to save the coral.The only treatment I know of is repeated iodine dip and QTing the coral.From what I read water quality and tissue damage is the usual cause.You know what it is when you see it.A small brown jelly matter on the coral that spreads rapidly and within days the coral will look like its rotting/melting away.

okay, I realized this morning the Kenya's may have starved. The Kenya's came in as hitchhikers as I stated before and I had them just under 3 months. I originally had planned a FOWLR tank so had not done any research on corals. So I had only been feeding the fish. DUH! :grumble: Completely my fault, and it just clicked in my head this morning. The last week I had them I started adding Calcium to promote Corraline growth still not realizing the corals needed it too. Too little, too late at this point. So I am pretty sure that is why the Kenya's died, I starved them to death and feel relly bad about it now that I have realize
it was due to my ignorance.

Now on to the other corals. For about 3 wks to a month I have been adding calcium and I am in the 450-475 range and everyone else seems happy. So here come the pics. All taken 5 minutes ago (except the lemnalia) right after the lights came on (no actinics so kinda blah).

This is how lemnalia looked right befor I took him out. after this picture I touched the rock to turn it and everything fell off and floated away.
clothing063.jpg

Today. I don't know what this one is but under actinics it glows green
clothing065.jpg

Today Shroom
clothing066.jpg

More shrooms
clothing067.jpg

Pulsing Xenia (hitchhiker) any idea what the other stuff is that's growing around it? it's hard to photograph.
clothing068.jpg

few of the Paly's/zoo's (more hitchhikers)
clothing069.jpg

Wow, they came out really blurry,, sorry haven't had my coffe yet!

Kenya trees would not have starved, even in a fish only tank. They don't need to be fed. They don't need high levels of calcium either. How do you think they survive as hitchhikers on live rock? While the rock is curing and while they are sitting in the tub in the fish store waiting to be sold they are not fed anything. So it's not a food issue. It's something else.

Sorry I can't see the stuff around the xenia. But the rest of your hitch hikers look really nice! Keep the pics coming.

i would consider tigerpods next time instead of copepods for your mandarin.
i had my spoted mandarin when my tank was only a month old but i was adding tigerpods to my system one bottle a month. it now has gone to an upgrade and a move and is still going strong. saw a female about a month os 2 ago from a LFS that was starving. i couldn't stand to see her starve to death so took it home for $10 hoping taht i can get her healthy again. as soon i i introduced her to the tank they were paired up right away. for about 2 weeks they were swimming together happily but she still is skinny(i can see her belly all sunken up still) but active. after 2 weeks i didn't see her out for a day then she cames out the next day and then just disappear for the rest of her life, RIP mandy missed ya. so now i am in search for another female spotted mandarin goby.

good luck with yours...

I don't know what the glowing thing was you mentioned but besides the Lemnalia,everything looks healthy.Sorry,I couldn't tell what was by the Xenias either.

I have to agree with Biff,starvation couldn't of killed a Kenya Tree.Soft corals need very little calcium,perhaps a lack of iodine but thats doubtful too.The only thing a Kenya need is light so can I ask what lights you were running again?

Back