Trochus Snail Event...

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

So I woke up this morning and looked at my tank and saw that one of my trochus snails wasn't to be found. I looked around the tank and found his/her shell in the sand basically covered and no snail to be found. I figured one of my two hermits bullied him out or something, but about an hour later lo and behold here is the trochus trying to climb back in his shell, but then one of my nassarius snails just basically engulfs the trochus before he can get all the way in and going.

So I guess I am trying to figure out exactly what happened with the trochus. Did a hermit bully him out? Did he get into a position where he couldn't move and left and came back, or did the nassarius snails try to get his shell?

Thanks,
~RC

Maybe the hermit ejected the snail.Decided it wasn't the right home/size and moved on.The snail might try to go back into its shell(if its close enough)but it will be futile.They can't reattach their shells and eventually die.That is what you probably seen with the nassarius-it was finishing off the body of the snail.

Maybe the hermit ejected the snail.Decided it wasn't the right home/size and moved on.The snail might try to go back into its shell(if its close enough)but it will be futile.They can't reattach their shells and eventually die.That is what you probably seen with the nassarius-it was finishing off the body of the snail.

This snail went back into his shell and is now at the top of my tank just sitting there. He went from the sandbed to the top of my tank!!

What gives??

~RC

Hermits will kick snails out of their shells, and may not even use the shells. That's why I don't like hermits. I don't know if a snail will survive with it's shell detached, but I think it'd be unlikely.

Back