Trouble With Clownfish

Nedim

Reefing newb
Has anyone else had trouble keeping clownfish alive?

Do they have special requirements that I'm not aware of?

Heres the thing about most clown fish anymore...... Most of them are tank breed now in a steril enviroments (aka massive uv filters). With that being said once you put them in your tank and as soon as they catch the slights wiff of a parasite its all over.

That is said to hear.

I have had a total of 4 clowns and all of them thrived in my tank, and they went through hell and back with bad tank conditions.

Clowns are usually really hardy. I've heard for the opposite reason, because they are tank raised and bred they are exposed to more diseases and have stronger immune systems.

The thing that confuses me is that my other fish are healthy. I have a sterilizer running, so I dont think I have any parasites or contaminates in my water

yeah because i used to have ich because my clown beat up my firefish so ive been fedding them garlic , vitimins,and i ve put a 125 gal uv on plus every time my clown chases my firefish or scared him i catch him with the net

Hawk has a point,sorta.Remember than tank bred are use to close systems and synthetic salt.I wonder if they could possibly be inbreeds,that would certainly make them more susceptible to disease.

Locally,I would check the clowns closely for signs of illness and ask the LFS to feed it before you buy it.

BTW,what clowns have been dieing on you?I'm asking because IME,Clarkii and Maroons seems more hardy than other species like percs.I have no scientific data,just 10 yrs of keeping alot of different species of clowns.

I have a Tomato Clown fish and its seems to be doing well. I have had it for 3-4 months. It get neglected too. :( Shame on Mator. But its still alive. :) It was bought at a store.

I get my clowns at my job. I've tried ocellaris(sp?) mainly. I've also tried tomato clowns and a few sebae.Always the same result.

I bought a couple small ones in the begining and had a hard time keeping them alive. So I bought a bigger on last time and im telling you theres no killing that thing.

Back