trouble with Dendro's

lurch5656

Reefing newb
Just recently bought a dendro piece and it doesnt seem to open much!!!!!:( when i spot feed it the coral opens up very nice. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and can maybe help. thanks

If it is opening nicely when you feed it then it is a very good sign that at least it is healthy. They open more when they are hungry or in anticipation of eating.

i have a large Carnation (Dendro) and 4 gorgonians in my tank, all of which I have had for at least 3 years. I keep my corals well fed and feed 3 times per week alternating with live baby brine shrimp, frozen cyclops, Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Phyton and TM Pro-Coral Zooton. As the names suggests TM phyton is a photo plankton like product and Zooton is a zooplankton like food product for corals. I have noticed greater polyp extension and more pods etc. in my tank since I started feeding the Pro Coral foods.

You need to "train" it and get it on a schedule. It can take a couple weeks for the coral to learn when feeding time is, and open up. It helps if you always feed it at the same time.

Yvr,

Your dendro is different then Lurch's dendro.Your carnation is a non-photosynthetic soft coral(Dendronephthya) and his is a non-photosynthetic LPS coral(Dendrophyllia).

Lurch,listen to Biff.they have the similar requirements as sun corals.

guys thank u so much for the info i amd going to use all of this input. hopefully my nerves will settle in the next couple of day

Back