trumpet coral quick question

tonyg

Reefing newb
One of my candy cane or trumpet corals gets one or two long clear strings coming off of it, often with bubbles attactched to it, ive also noticed bubbles forming on the poloyps of both of them. Is this a sign of somthing bad?

Tentacles? Like this?

CandyCaneHungry.jpg

No, like one or two strings of mucus or snot, several inches long. Cant seem to get a picture of it. The bubbles look just like little air bubbles.

Well I dont understand if its coming out the mouth or what?
Mouth = Poop
Around the tank = Slime algae/Cyano

Interesting article!
Knowing what to look for i found 3 of the buggers on there. Looking at the other trumpet coral i got, im now wondering if what i thought were part of the coral might also be some sort of hitchhiker. Im going to get a picture or two up shortly.

I also found some sort of starfish with them. Tiny little guy who is practically all tentacles. Ill try to get a shot of him too.

I guess i kinda thought the dip would take care of stuff like that? Is it supposed to? Maybe i didnt use it correctly? Wrong dip to water ratio? Maybe i didnt leave them in long enough?

I see these snails on LPS all the time in my area. Very common. As said above, they may be an issue if they get to massive proportions, but usually they are not an issue. Just another filter feeder. There are periods where I will see a few strands and there are weeks/months were I won't. It's up to you what you really want to do with them at this point.
The small starfish that is practically all tentacles is probably a type of brittle star, but a pic would help if you really want to know. If a brittle, they are harmless and helpful.

The dip will usually make things jump ship. I can take a coral from someones system or from a LFS and dip it and things I couldn't see on the coral come flying off of it. Double check next time the ratio on your particular dip. What kind are you using?

I use seachem reef dip.

When i looked this morning, the coral with the vermatids look a complete mess...then i realized it was a shrimp molt stuck to the top of it.

I tried for a while to get pictures, but my camera isn't good enough or my skill isn't high enough. I can't get a clear picture of any of this stuff.

I plan on leaving it alone for now. They dont seem to be bothering the coral, but my lack of experience makes it hard for me to know for sure.

Thats why there are forums, and why we ask questions. Keep um coming. Figure out how to get some picts of stuff with the camera you have. It will help in the future.

Reef dip is good. Funny about the shrimp molt. Bet that had ya wondering for a bit.

looking at them today, I'm starting to think I rushed the acclimation as far as the lighting goes.

It looks like the tissue has receded a bit, you can see more skeleton through the edges now.

I think I rushed the light acclimation. Ramped it back up too quickly.

I'm going to leave the MH on for an hour today, 2 hours tomorrow, ect. until i'm back up to the full 9 hours.

Sound like a good plan?

I ended up gluing them to a rock a little higher than midway in the tank.
I had planned on leaving them in the sand for longer, but they kept getting knocked over.

Mushrooms, zoas and a tooth coral are the other bits in my tank. They all seem to stay open under the led's I have, which I will leave on like normal. Will they suffer much if I really limit the big light for a while?

Back