Tuesday pictures...

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I want to get in the habit of posting a photo or two every day. Maybe I'll start a Photography thread in the Tank showcase so I don't have a gazillion posts. Until then, here's Tuesday's shots:

This is amazing to me. This guy showed up a couple days ago in my tank! I've NEVER seen a complete shell like this, only half shells washed up on the beach. Hope he stays around a while:

4131793841_73399aa25c.jpg

This little clown, Jazz, lives in my 20 gallon aiptasia farm. He's hosting in a bunch of xenias:

4132557536_5d6d3fed03.jpg

Hope you enjoy Tuesday!

Catherine

Thanks, David, I wonder why all my shots of fish turn out fuzzy even when I use a faster shutter speed and the fish isn't moving quickly. Dennis, do you have any secrets?

Catherine

That's a shame, it's a great pic.

Just been working. The place I work got a big contract with post offices for deliveries and Christmas is close so we been real busy working min 10 hour days. I still check in here, just don't post much.

Picasso has the POTM right now, I think. Cath, can you raise the iso setting on that camera? The coral looks good, but the clown is grainy, thats what I see, not to critique, its a awesome shot, and you asked. I think the digital camera is straining a little for the exposure, and focus, and did a generalization on the whole scene. Can you do manual focus and exposure on that camera? Or just aim the focus spot directly on your subject and hold the exposure button and then frame your shot...

Yeah, SeaBee, I've got a Canon Rebel XTI. ISO set at 3200. My shutter speed never drops below 125 which should be more than fine for a slow moving fish. I usually use manual focus and a tripod for my tank shots. For this shot I had an off camera flash behind the tank with a scrim GOBO and a spot flash at a 45* angle with a portrait snoot. When I edited the shot I didn't pull the noise out which would help with the graininess a little but not enough to pull the whole fish in focus.

The ISO shouldn't affect the fish being out of focus. I've got a multi-focal focal plane on my auto-focus so I know there is no depth of field issues (I don't remember if this shot was with auto focus or not, I think not). It's a conundrum.

Catherine

For these snap shots I'm using my Canon XSI with a regular 18-15mm lens. David, are you looking to buy a camera? If so, I usually recommend the Nikon. I'm happy with the Canon but I think the Nikon's lens optics are a bit better.

Duh, I've got the XSI, not the XTI. It's getting late!

Catherine

Catherine can I add a lens to my Sony Cyber Shot?

What do you want the lens to do? I don't see anything listed as an "official" lens for the camera but you can rig stuff up to help out. Polarizing filters and gels, special effects filters are pretty easy to add on to most auto-focus cameras. Adding a macro or fish-eye would be difficult because you'll confuse the auto-focus computer.

Catherine

Back