Types of Live Rock? Can you mix?

sandman

Reefing newb
I tried searching before I posted this. I have heard recently about a bunch of different live rock, like fiji rock, hatian rock, bahamian rock ect. What are the differences in these rocks? Does one help support coral better then the other? Lastly, can I mix the rocks in the tank or is that not suggested?
Thanks

All of them are good, it just depends on what you want to have in there for the looks. Some are more porous and easier to aquascape with and tie together so your rocks wont tip over. It really comes down to what your preference is, and you can certainly mix different types of rock together.
More porous rock will make it easier for your corals to attach themselves to and rocks that have alot of nooks and crannies are great for making little arches and stuff for your fish to hide in later.
I have Fiji in mine, but thats only because its what I had on hand, in the future Im going to go with something much more porous, I like the look of it and I want alot of soft coral in mine, so I would have a good time attaching them to it.
Anyone can pipe in if Im wrong here, but rock is rock, just make sure your rock is from a good source otherwise you could have things you dont want attached to it and then you have things in your tank you never wanted

Thank you very much just this little bit of info will help me move forward. I was so curious about the different rocks that are available and which will be best. Now that I know I think I am going to mix them in order to grow coral nicely and at the same time buying soem to let the fish hide in..

also what is a good water temperature? I have been digitally measuring the water temp and it fluctuates between 79-83* F is this a safe temp for fish and coral? It just gets sooooo hot here in florida

Well I think it depends on the fish you are wanting to get but I think the optimum temp in your tank is supposed to be from like 76-80.

Make sure that after you put your live rock in that you let your tank cycle. There si a good sticky in the newbie forum on how to do that and when you should put stuff in, but if you are like me you like to look and dream and plan. I would check out this Marine Compatability Chart before putting any fish in there so you can really plan on it. Some fish shouldnt be kept by newbies and people here will definitely steer you the right way.

this is an expensive hobby for sure and live rock is no exception. You can always get yourself some dry rock and save yourself a bunch of money.. It will over a short period of time become live... here is a link to where you can get it if interested in that route..MarcoRocks Aquarium Products - KeyLargo

Thank You for all the info and the chart. That article was actually one of the first things i read and was very insightful.
I never considered dry rock, and the Key Largo is not far from me and pretty nice looking at the same time.
I found some Fiji rock local for $2/lb

you want to have 1 to 1.5 pounds of liverock per gallon of water.. it will be your means of biological filtration in your tank so you really dont want to skimp in this department..

this is an expensive hobby for sure and live rock is no exception. You can always get yourself some dry rock and save yourself a bunch of money.. It will over a short period of time become live... here is a link to where you can get it if interested in that route..MarcoRocks Aquarium Products - KeyLargo
You can buy dry rock however it would take a bit longer for your tank to cycle. I would spend the money and get live rock up front or do what I did, I had 1/2 dry rock and I am picking up my other 1/2 of live.

You can get some really cool shapes (shelf/shale-like) from Haiti rock but I've heard rumors that they produce high phosphates. Might be BS. Fiji rock tends to be more round. It's a matter of preference. I like to pick out my rocks in person, however I like how Marco has set up the dry rock examples. I don't have any largo. It looks nice. My rockwork stinks. I wish I did a better job. Cant wait to see how your's looks.....

I will be picking Fiji up in a little while. I have a lot to choose from the guy tells me. I will hand pick nice shapes...I'm not sure about my rock skill either but I plan on making a nice wall with lots of openings for fish to hide and swim through.

You can get regular or base rock and use fancier rock to cover the base rock. I saves money , buy it will take longer for the rock to house beneficial microbes and bacteria.

Back