Uh oh...what a I do....

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,

I just ticked off my corals to a level I have never seen since I got them...they have all shriveled right up, the open brain spewed this mucas type stuff and A LOT of it... a lot of the other corals also spewed mucas type stuff just not the volume that the brain did. I sucked out as much of the mucas stuff as I could...

Pretty much all of the corals in my tank with the exception of my mushrooms and toadstool leather are shriveled.

I added two things....1) kent liquid calcium, 2) ph/alk booster

I used very little of each... 1/2 the amount for the calsium, and 1/3 the amount for the alk/ph booster.

Should i water change right away? or just chill and give things time to adjust?

never add them at the same time you need to add them at least a half an hour apart of each other. check your ph the alk suplement will shoot your ph up just check it to make shure it is not to high

I pour chemicals into fast moving water - like between the baffles in the sump - or into the overflow box. Most of those pH buffers are just going to shoot your alk way up - but the pH will still drag along at 7.8. Eventually your alk will be off the chart.

I would suggest you buy a magnesium test kit and check your mag levels. Magnesium levels (when correct) can help to sort of "stabilize" pH and alk.

I don't dose my tank, but when when my ato tops off my tank, it tops off at the furthest possible location from the tank's flow -- in the intake area. That way, it can dillute anything I put in the tank more before it hits the dt.

Levels
PH 8.4
Alk 3.1 meq/l or 8.68 dkh
Phos 0.5
Ammonia 0.1
Calcium 420
temp 80.2
Nitrite = 0
Ntrate = 0
Sal = 1.025

Last edited:
I usually pour into the powerhead stream.....I think I am going to add mine to the top off as well from now on.

What about liquid phyto, zoo etc?? Same thing?

Last edited:
I NEVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER add calcium and buffer the same day, The one's I get from the LFS are color coded for that exact reason PH and ALK are purp and CAL is blue PH and ALK are fine the same day but never mix with blue in the same DAY..hope it works out for ya..:twocents:

When you dose,you have to be careful where you pour the chemicals.
You want it mix as much as possible before getting to where the corals are.
But I think you already figured that one out.:D

and if your tank is indeed only 1 month old, the cycle your tank went through will produce phosphates.

phosphates that high i would think your algae would be loving it.

I have also been informed my bulbs could be the prob.... they are in need of replacing.. My new ones are here...so I will pick them up tomorrow..

I am getting cyano algae in the 2 front corners.. there is an insane amount of flow in the tank.
2 Koralia 2 at 600gph each
1 maxijet 1200 (300 gph) on my skimmer
1 Ac 50 (300 gph)

I did a 10% water change tonight...and I'll do another 10% tomorrow. I'll add in the new bulbs..

Hopefully that will help...

I had the same thing happen to a few of my mushroom coral when I added some salt today. (the salinity] had dropped for some reason). I started pouring small amounts over by my jet and it shot it right across the mushrooms. They immediately spit out there pink guts out. I stopped right away and eventually they retracted there guts and all seems well again. I continued to add salt in smaller amounts later on. All seems well (crosses his fingers)

You should never add salt directly to your tank. It can burn your corals and fish. To raise your salinity, top off evaporation using properly mixed salt water instead of fresh water.

Back