Ulta's 24g AquaPod

Ulta

REEFER
Ok, So I finally got my camera working! And my AquaPod up and running. For now I just transferred a real good rock from my other tank along with water from my other tank.

I threw a hermit and a snail in there to test the water :) They have been in there for about 5 days now and doing good.

As soon as I get some time I'm going to re-aquascape it and add the sand.

100_1592.jpg

100_1593.jpg

And I have a question, What do you Nano Reef guys use for filtration in the back of your nanos? I was gonna put some live rock rubble in the bottom, and I have this Sapphire Aquatics BC29 skimmer(That came with the tank), but it doesn't seem to be working properly its making some semi-loud clicking noises and filling the tank with tiny microbubbles... and not really producing any foam : /
Should I find a way to tear apart the original hood and rig one of the PC Lights over the back and put some Chateo back there?

Really kinda confused on what I need for adequate filtration for this thing...

Here's the Sapphire Aquatics BC29 skimmer:
100_1594.jpg

For a while now, all I've been doing for filtration in my tank is running a filter floss in the back for a few days a month. Other than that, I just do water changes and other than a small phosphate issue a month ago my water quality is great.

My RSM has two sponges, a skimmer that doesn't work worth a crap, and then ceramic ring pieces. Everything does a good job except the skimmer. I think you could use LR rubble if you want.

Ok, so I am an idiot and made a huge mistake! First I put the live rock in (With corals attached). Then I proceeded to add the sand, well I added the sand from the bag without rinsing it first! BIG MISTAKE.... There was Sooo much dust! I got really nervous for my corals so I took the top rock off with ~$200 worth of zoas on it out, it was covered in black "soot" rinsed it in RO water and put it back in my 50g. Thankfully the zoas open right back up just fine... but there were still a few zoas on the base rock and a hairy mushroom...

Well finally after about 12-15 hrs of letting it "Settle" it was still cloudy as heck. So I started running the pumps hoping circulation would help... after that didn't help much, I had a great idea and finally decided to hook up my carbon filter from the 50g along with throwing a filter pad in the back where the water moves through. And voila! Within an hour it cleared up quite well!
100_1606.jpg

100_1607.jpg

So I've been running the filter on it for about a day now. I think tomorrow I will put the Zoa rock back in there and put some new pics up :)

Here's New Pic, I put my Zoa Rock in to top things off.
100_1689.jpg

Now only thing is my heater temp seems to be messed up b/c temp was up to 85*! >_< Good thing I cought it. I have a thermometer in there now so I can monitor it more closely. Might have been getting some vibrations from pump :dunno:

Gonna start researching on some small fish. I'm considering a sand sifter goby, what you guys think? or maybe some other kind of goby/blennie :shrug: Maybe and Angler fish! Lol. And a few inverts, sexy shrimp pair, arrow crab maybe? Will that stuff leave pods alone? B/c I would also like to consider growing a booming populations of diff types of pods. My 50g seems to only have small populations since my big die off. : /

Ok, Time for an update! :D
100_1858.jpg

100_1860.jpg

100_1864.jpg

Notice the Difference in Color from the old 15k bulb to a Hamilton 14k!??
That bulb is Soo bright, its hard to catch the actual colors with my digital camera :(

Adding a bunch of SPS on Sunday! Going to the Lansing Frag swap sould be good times :D

My only inhabitants are 3 Snails, 3 Hermits, Black & White Serpent Star, Tiger Pistol Shrimp, and a Yellow Watchman Goby.

I want to get a Green Clown Goby also :D

Here's an Update with all my New Corals from the Lansing Frag Swap!
Also I added a clown and a cleaner shrimp :D

FTS
100_1918.jpg

100_1919.jpg

oh btw, if your wondering why it looks more blueish again... Its because I bought a small 2 bulb fixture off a local reefer and put a UVL Super Actinic and a 454 nm Bulb in it! :D Love the look!

Last edited:
haha, nope. Everything is same as that last pic I took 1 week ago. Just growing out :D

One thing I didn't mention in this thread was however:

I have 2 nuisance problems in this tank (which baffle's me because everything came from the 50g and that doesn't have these probs >_<) and they are:
Red Turf Algae
&
Flatworms

and I have decided to leave both of them. The flatworms are not harming anything and their populations seem to be shrinking slowly. and the Red Turf Algae just got out of control too fast and is hard to remove with all the corals in there. The corals seem to do fine growing over top of it so I decided to just let it go :)

I think the tank still looks great regardless! :Cheers:

Well... It is now all broken down and what is left is in my 50g XD

It got too far out of control and with my new job I was only home about 10-20% of the time and couldn't keep up.

I had 3 roomates and lots of people comming over and it was right center in my living room. only being 24g I have a feeling that it took in MANY things that it shouldnt have that greatly hurt the water quality (last of which being a big ball of cotton that I couldnt get all of it out... heh). Needless to say, It was going downhill fast. So I decided to make the judgement call, and with summer comming out and still not knowing how I was gonna cool it, I just broke it down and put everything left in my 50g. :)

The saying that says the smaller the tank the tougher it is to keep good water quality is true in my case. That and the fact that I was living with numerous other irresponsible young adults. : /

Back