Um water help again

Jkraft136

Reefing newb
OK today was doing my standard weekly test to see if my nitrates had dropped below 20, Ammonia 0, then went to nitrites, as soon as the drops were done, BAM purple. So i started to panic, test my refill water source, 0 Nitrites, Did a 70% water change and my reading are still showing off the chart. LFS tested and same reading. What would've done this. Nothing has been added in the tank for 2-3 weeks except a 1 inch mandarin. Any ideas? Doing another change tomorrow to see if i can fix it.

get it tested by a third lfs after the 70%water change. Maybe you could try water from a different store. If you have your own RO unit, then buy some from walmart and see if that will have an effect.

But since youhave done a 70% water change, i would wait a while before trying it again.

Yeah, definitely never do a water change that big again. It will cause more problems than ýou already have.

I sure hope your mandarin is accepting frozen foods because in a tank as new as yours that's going to be pretty much all it will have once the pod population gets wiped out.

Sorry to heau are going through this.

I would suspect possibly contaminated test equipment. to have a nitrite spike without ammonia is questionable. this is especially if all the animals are doing ok. look at you tank and see if all is well by sight, if everything looks ok, inspect all your test equipment for proper cleaning, tubes, eye dropper, etc. good luck. also some additives can give you a false reading, are you adding anything to your tank??.

api master saltwater kit. come home and my 4inch turbo snail is covered by about 20 nas snails getting my mandarin out as we speak to save him

Back