undergravel filter

jswinberlin

Reefing newb
I had someone else setup my tank initially (45 gal. Fish only with live rock) and they installed an undergravel filter. Since then I've learned that they are sort of antiquated. Last weekend while doing my cleaning/water change, I removed one of the tubes from the ugf to the powerhead and my firefish took the opportunity to swim beneath the ugf. After pulling the whole thing apart twice (persistent little bugger liked it under there). I'm really thinking it's time to get rid of the filter.

How should I prepare? I'm afraid of making a bad thing worse. I really don't have enough live rock and currently have a hob whisper filter and protein skimmer. Should I do half at a time and fill with live rock? I have crushed coral instead of sand. Should I replace one side with live sand and live rock and then repeat?

Imo, I would go the 1/2 and 1/2 routine, one you can get a filter to keep the circulation going. The uga, didn't take up as many people thought, so when you do pull it out, you'll be disturbing a lot of "stuf", if you can pull your fish out, so they arent caught in that stuff, they'll appreciate it, and you only have to let the cloudiness down, and be sure to check you parameters before you put them back in.

Just my thoughts.

+1 I would take the fish out. Take the ugf out, let it settle and then put the fish back. Also would go with the half and half.

I would put your fish in a temporary holding tank (with a few pieces of live rock) and pull out the ugf and get the crushed coral coral. Then do a massive water change because you are going to stir up a ton of junk. Then place in what live rock you have remaining, add your dry rock and new sand. Then monitor for a few days to make sure there isnt a mini cycle, and return all the live stock.

Doing it piece meal will expose your fish to a lot of stress and you could have several mini cycles from continuing to stir a bunch of crud up. Its better just to get it done all at once.

Also by adding dry rock instead of more live rock, you will both save a bunch of money, but you also know that they wont cause an extended cycle because live rock usually has to-recure. Here is my favorite place to buy dry rock.
MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

Back