unicorn tang?

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
I'm in the process of planning my stocklist and I found this while crusing Blue Zoo Aquatics:

Unicorn Tang, Bluespine Unicornfish - Naso unicornis

I dont want to get the tang police called, so I figured I'd post up here and see if anyone has expereince with this fish. I'm thinking it would make a cool looking centerpiece to the 180 Gallon that I am in the process of planning

Thoughts and opinions?

A 180 is probably bare minimum size for any of those IMO...they all need lots of room and can get huge......why not give a large angel a look:D

I kind of figured that, I saw the recommended size of 150 and wanted opinions. I don't think I can do an angel, as they are not reef safe

No need to get the tang police involved

Thanks!

I am by no means part of the tang police,and there really isn't too many here who are..:lol:.....your 180 is a good sized system,but the uni gets huge..,but there are tons of others to choose from

Any of th Naso sp. tangs are poor choices for any normal sized tank. Even with 300 gallon tanks these species of tang will outgrow them in just a couple years.

They are all right. I had a vlamingi tang for years (Naso vlamingi, also sometimes called a unicorn tang) in my 240. She even outgrew that! She was a foot and a half long by the time I had to give her away. By that time, she was clearly stressed from the lack of swimming space and was showing physical signs of the stress. I felt so bad.

Some angels will be compatible with reef tanks, they just carry the "with caution" tag. Monitoring and proper feeding can sometimes fix the problem with those fish, as some of them are not to prone to pick at corals inverts.

Back