Unknown (big) hitchikers!

Homer

Reefing newb
I am beginner, so I haven`t seen these kind of critters... I know, that worm.... a.k.a. Bristle worm , AKA Devil, AKA, THE DOOM etc... Might be be good or very bad... He is the size of my middle finger (i have long fingers). I have beautiful leather coral in my aquarium that I don`t want to get eaten... So what You say, he lives or he dies?

And about those bristle star fish? No Idea what are they... They are beautiful... But...As I said , no idea... Please respond quick, because currently they are living in the bags, they came from the store..

p.s. sorry for my English :).. Pictures in a sec... :) uploading right now :)

20121221_142731_zps569d325c.jpg

20121221_142621_zps98962f77.jpg

20121221_142844_zps7dce289b.jpg

20121221_142621_zps98962f77.jpg

20121221_142610_zpsc913cccf.jpg

i wouldn't panic too much as the bristle worms are only scavengers and are a good part of the clean up crew, as for the brittle star i've had heaps of them in my tank with no probs as they will help clean up and scraps of left over food

i wouldn't panic too much as the bristle worms are only scavengers and are a good part of the clean up crew, as for the brittle star i've had heaps of them in my tank with no probs as they will help clean up and scraps of left over food

Polychaete - Eurythoe complanata. - it says I should flush it... I do the right thing, and will put it in the freezer... so he falls asleep :(

i never had a problem with them even when i had about 20 they would come out at night looking for scraps of food or sometimes during feeding if food landed near them, i've never lost any fish or snails to them

i never had a problem with them even when i had about 20 they would come out at night looking for scraps of food or sometimes during feeding if food landed near them, i've never lost any fish or snails to them

they don`t eat fish or snails... they munch on corals :( ... They are very beuatiful, but dangerous.. The one I have is 3 inches in lenght

There is a difference between bristleworms and fireworms.

You have a run-of-the-mill bristleworm. It's harmless. It's an excellent member of your cleap up crew, and you will end up with hundreds in your tank and not even know it. They are extremely common and will not hurt your coral. They won't eat anything unless it's already dead or dying. That's their job -- to eat things that are dead or dying so that the dead or dying things don't pollute your water.

The mini brittle stars are also harmless and are very common to find on rocks and frags.

There is a difference between bristleworms and fireworms.

You have a run-of-the-mill bristleworm. It's harmless. It's an excellent member of your cleap up crew, and you will end up with hundreds in your tank and not even know it. They are extremely common and will not hurt your coral. They won't eat anything unless it's already dead or dying. That's their job -- to eat things that are dead or dying so that the dead or dying things don't pollute your water.

The mini brittle stars are also harmless and are very common to find on rocks and frags.

20121221_153202_zps2ae519f2.jpg

can You confirm 100 % that this isn`t a bad guy?

p.s. tnx for help :)

I found info about bristle worms,that they are good guys, so of course,they can stay :)

Yes, that's a bristleworm. Fireworms have fuzzy, hair-like legs and are bright red in color. Bristleworms come in a variety of colors but usually are tan, pink and orange.

Everyone has you covered...those hitchhikers are safe to put in your tank. Just DON'T touch the bristleworm with your bare hands.

Everyone has you covered...those hitchhikers are safe to put in your tank. Just DON'T touch the bristleworm with your bare hands.

Now, I am not sure... If I want to wear gloves every time I decide to remove my rocks or to clean the bottom of the tank... :( If Only they looked less earthworm and more saltwater like :) , and they wouldn`t have those spikes ..

You should probably always wear gloves when having your hands in a tank. Not only for your safety but also for the fish. People have so much soap, food, cleaning supplies, etc. on there hands that then get transferred into the tank.

And isn't realy rare to get a fire worm now days because they outlawed live rock from being collected in the Caribean?

You should probably always wear gloves when having your hands in a tank. Not only for your safety but also for the fish. People have so much soap, food, cleaning supplies, etc. on there hands that then get transferred into the tank.

And isn't realy rare to get a fire worm now days because they outlawed live rock from being collected in the Caribean?

It`s hard to admit... But the worms are in cup of water... in the freezer... It`s so fing hard to kill a worm... It is easier for me to kill a chicken or slice rabbits throat (I did live in farm few years ago)... But knowing, that the worm has to die, because of me not liking him, him doing the thing he was made for and the only thing he can do... I just hope, he didn`t feel to stressed and just felt asleep :(

Back