Unwelcome hitchhiker

saitoking

Reefing newb
This morning I noticed a few of my zoas withdrawn and in the middle of them I see a unwelcome guest I believe to be a aiptasia. I was lucky the zoas are on a piece of branch coral that was easy to cut out. Anyone know for sure thanks for looking. saitoking

Attachments

• IMGP9299 (1024x680).jpg
    IMGP9299 (1024x680).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 311
I've heard of ppl using aiptasia's as a filter system by growing heaps on a tray in thier sump though i would hate to think of the amount u would end up in ur tank

I've heard of ppl using aiptasia's as a filter system by growing heaps on a tray in thier sump though i would hate to think of the amount u would end up in ur tank

Yes since they reproduce both asexually and sexually if it spawned it could release gametes by the millions.

though if u had a copperband butterfly fish they take care of aiptasias pretty good though they like to nip at the rocks and strip the tank of all the feather dusters and other critters

though if u had a copperband butterfly fish they take care of aiptasias pretty good though they like to nip at the rocks and strip the tank of all the feather dusters and other critters

I have 2 nipper in my sump now don't want anymore hehe

I used a 200 lumen flashlight and held it on the aiptasia about 3 inches away for 1 min. it shrink down and I believe is dead or dying, that could be good news. I haven't heard of using a high intensity light to kill them, that could be real handy. Let you know more tomorrow. saitoking

I know powerful lasers have been used to kill them. Keep us informed!

I used a laser held on it and it didn't do anything compared to the light but it was just a red gun laser so maybe a green or a very strong laser will work. The light I used had one creed led blub with 4 AA batteries. Will post Monday.saitoking

I have always used aiptasia control on them. I never have had a problem even with zoahs right next to them. Turn off the flow in the tank then nuke um...proven and effective.

Ok well after 2 days of watching him he started coming back 4 days he looks stronger that ever. He's been in this jar with nothing but tank water.

Attachments

• IMGP9613 (1024x680).jpg
    IMGP9613 (1024x680).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 245
I used a laser held on it and it didn't do anything compared to the light but it was just a red gun laser so maybe a green or a very strong laser will work. The light I used had one creed led blub with 4 AA batteries. Will post Monday.saitoking

chrunning out the smoke... crunch crunch.... 1.5 X 4 = 6 volts... DC ... yep that will make a Creed pump out the Par.. you can fire one darn bright with just 3 volts (two cells). I know 'cause that is how I test them.

What? You have a good 4 cell creed water proof flash light you recommend? I want one for my job!!!

chrunning out the smoke... crunch crunch.... 1.5 X 4 = 6 volts... DC ... yep that will make a Creed pump out the Par.. you can fire one darn bright with just 3 volts (two cells). I know 'cause that is how I test them.

What? You have a good 4 cell creed water proof flash light you recommend? I want one for my job!!!

I bought it at a gun shop don't have the package it came but I looked on line and I think this is the same one. It has the same spec. 4AA 200 lumens and it looks the same.saitoking I bought it http://www.seguns.com/

This one looks the same
Nebo Protec 5904 Black High Intensity Tactical Bat Flashlight LED 4 AA Includ | eBay

Last edited:
Back