update and a question

JoeG

Reefing newb
Its day 22 my tank has had a diatom bloom I'm very pleased that everything is going according to plan I got my CUC today as well. 4 snails 12 hermit crabs probly not enough but I'll play it by ear. I got a pair of clown fish saturday morning i couldn't get them to eat until today. I was pretty worried seeing as their my 1st fish but ive read that this is common. My question is regarding my hermit crabs, should i have extra shells in their now or wait a lil. My local fish store said i could wait a couple weeks for them to grow until i get shells also how do i go about sizing their shells

thanks,
Joe

You can wait a couple of weeks. I would get a variety of different sizes and shapes, that way the hermits can pick which shell is right for their growth.

And good job on getting them to eat! I know it can be scary when they dont eat right away.

Personally, I wouldn't wait. I would put the extra shells in now, and a variety as stated above. There is no way of knowing whether they need/want a new home now. Perhaps they are already outgrowing their current shell and the LFS they came from didn't have enough extras? It can't hurt to have them in there and IMO helps to keep your hermits happy.

Back