upgrading lighting

rbl1979

Reefing newb
I have a question to everyone here. I have been reading many posts here and the majority seem in favor of the T5 lighting. Then others say it is about watts per gallon is more important. Currently I have 4-36" flourescent 96W bulbs 2 are 6700k and 2 are actinic blue for a total of a little over 5watts/gal. So far all my soft corals are doing really good even one that I was told at LFS that it is extremely hard to keep (goniopora) and might not do good with the lights I have. Currently I am happy with what I have, however in the future I want to try hard corals and/or anemones but from what I have read on here or asked at the LFS they need lots of light.

Do you think I need to upgrade my lighting for the hard corals or anemonies?

If I did need to upgrade my tank cover which is currently one we made there is room for 2 of the smaller metal halide bulbs. Would that provide enough "extra" lighting for the addition of hard corals or anemonies?

a goni is a hard coral not a soft coral. and pc lights are just weak when it comes to high light corals. t5's put out more light per watt than other florecent lights. and if you gret a light with indivudeal reflectors the light output is at least doubled

Back