Urchin Died

RFD

Reefing newb
Hi,

When I came home this evening my Urchin had died. All that was left was the shell and a couple of tines. I also notices near by two small (pea sized) like snails? stuck to the glass and appear to be eating algae. Coincidence? Are Urchin asexual? Or did it die of natural causes.

Stats;

Temp - 78
Hardness - 12 dKH
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.1
Calcium - 500 ppm

14 gal Biocube

Any Ideas or concerns?

Hi,

Everything else looks fine- Don't know what the little white stuff is maybe a snail?

I live in Hawthorne off 208 and Harristown Road.

you?

Good to know- I'm really just starting out- I have a 14 gal biocube with 40, 55 and 75 waiting in the wings. I'm starting to accumulate supplies for the 75 or 40 not sure which yet. i don't have that much in the way of coral :( Xenia, green star polyp yellow star polyps a few Zoa and some Kenya. But if you have something you want to swap or sell please contact me. What LFS do you go to - Absolutely Fish?

Anyway please keep in touch nice to know someone local. Are you a member of NJ reefers or MR?

Rich

Good to know- I'm really just starting out- I have a 14 gal biocube with 40, 55 and 75 waiting in the wings. I'm starting to accumulate supplies for the 75 or 40 not sure which yet. i don't have that much in the way of coral :( Xenia, green star polyp yellow star polyps a few Zoa and some Kenya. But if you have something you want to swap or sell please contact me. What LFS do you go to - Absolutely Fish?

Anyway please keep in touch nice to know someone local. Are you a member of NJ reefers or MR?

Rich

I'm a member of NJRC and I've almost given up on LFS's at this point. The only two i've gone to are Bietals in Pearl River NY and Reef Encounter in Hackensack NJ, and I've been dissapointed. I'm souly going ot build my coral collection off swaps from local NJ reefers. I like to support the hobb while getting my fix :P (unless you can highly recomend another LFS)

Generally 14G is considered to small for an urchin becuase there isn't enough algae for them to eat. Did you give it algae sheets to graze on?

Back