Used Aiptasia X for the first time

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
I had some "tulip" majanos that were very pretty but multiplied quickly. Started out with one last fall and now have nine!

I used the aiptasia x and squirted it into their oral disc. They immediately started to close and puff up. Within an hour or so, they were shrinking, almost like melting. I noticed that they were releasing a white, stringy substance and one of my hermit crabs was eating it.

I was concerned that the substance was the aiptasia x so I used my tongs and pulled the dying majanos off the rock. Think this may have been a bad idea :frustrat: because they fell apart and scattered all over the tank.

Anyone have any insight into this process? Were they releasing the chemical or was this a last ditch effort at reproducing? Will the particles of flesh that spread through the water column take root and produce more?

I have never known that product to work on Majanos. If they were truly dying off, then that was them expelling their insides. I normally use kalkwasser paste on any Majanos I find in my tank.

Back