UV Sterilizer

LongIslandFirearms

Reefing newb
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello again all everyone![/FONT]

Okay, for one what does a UV Sterilizer do? You may or may not know but I'm in Day two of my new 37 gallon saltwater with Live Rock (newbie :) ). Do I need one of these? If so, do I set it up now? Is this one I mention good?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model No.:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AAUV9W
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product Name:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Green Killing Machine - Internal UV Sterilizer (9W[/FONT]

They have their pros and cons. Pros: they help cut back on algae and disease. Cons: they kill everything that passes through them, including beneficial bacteria and food for your fish and corals.

If I may ask.

I have a EHEIM 2232 and a hydor inline heater. I want to add a UV Sterilizer. I have given it great thought can I add an inline one right after the inline heater?

So the setup would be:

EHEIM 2232 ---> Hydor Inline 200 W heater --> Inline UV Sterilizer --> out to tank

Also, when do you add a UV Sterilizer? After my cycling of the tank?

after cycling the tank is best but you can add one before since their is not a ton of bacteria in the water most of it is in the rock and sand. your plan sounds like it will work just fine

no it all depends on the uv that you have. like mine it is rated for a max water flow of 2800ghp but i only have about 600gph at the most the slower the flow the more effective the uv is at killing things and that is why a person uses one your uv should have a flow chart that tells you at what gph the things that will get killed at that flow rate.

Back