UV sterilizers?

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
What are your thoughts on UV sterilizers? I know it can kill 99% of water borne,disease causing micro organisms, but will it kill rotifers, copepods?
Thanks
Rose

It will kill anything that passes through it, including pods and rotifers. That's a downside to it. Most people don't use one. I think its benefits really only outweigh the downsides if you have a tank full of disease prone fish, like tangs.

We seem to be having a problem with the baby seahorse tank something seems to be killing them and i cant seem to figure out what is wrong. so my next guess is parasites,gave them a fresh water dip.
So I was thinking about the UV sterilizer but I dont want to kill off the good stuff :(
don,t know what to do:(

What are your thoughts on UV sterilizers? I know it can kill 99% of water borne,disease causing micro organisms, but will it kill rotifers, copepods?
Thanks
Rose
This is the key,like biff said ,it must pass thru it....certain things will still be able live in your sandbed and LR

Yeah, UV sterilizers cannot get rid of disease. As Nemo said, any parasites, bacteria, viruses, etc. will still be in your substrate, rock, fish, etc. They certainly do help, but it's not a cure.

When i got my tank one came with it. Its a 9watt I hooked it up but took it out a week later. If you want it I will give you a really good deal! Its new and I have the box it came in.

Back