Vacation question

camps23

Reefing newb
One last question before I purchase my tank and it's a big one. I know saltwater tanks require alot of TLC which I'm totally fine with. The only issue is I do go on vacation for about a week at a time usually twice a year. Will it be an issue to leave the tank for a week without supervision ? I know they have auto feeders for the fish but wil the whole system fall apart without care for a week ? With that being said are there extra things I can do so my tank can run with less maintenance per week ?

i would have some one come over to take care of fish and check on everything. Just pre-measure out all the food, make overly detail notes, and leave boxes to check to make sure everything gets done every day, and have them cover and practice before you leave.

Besides feeding, the tank will be fine for a week. Automatic feeders have been known to malfunction. You don't have a neighbor or someone who can feed once a day?

I recently moved a few hours away from family and friends and have yet to build enough trust with neighbors. So my situation still remains no care for a week is this ok? What is an ATO

wellin IMO where to start,first off this is a hobby 2nd do reasearch on EVERYTHING BEFOR YOU BUY IT #3 the bigger the tank the easier to take care of (to a point) say for eample a 90 or100 gal tank take's alot longer for thing's to get outa hand then a 20 or 30 gal tank. #4 decide what kind of tank your going to have, FOWLR, or mostly coral's with maybe some small fish, or a predator tank. a FOWLR is going to require alot less light then any tank you put coral's in,so it's cheaper to set up.and what I mean by hobby is that saltwater aquarium's require matinence such as water change's,chem check's etc.etc. and can be ENITIONALLY exspensive to set up. #5 assuming you have one in your area, your LFS will sell you ANYTHING so keep #2 in mind. Now having said that I recomend a 90 WITH OVERFLOW why? look up the price difference between a 48" light and a 60" make sure your setting down when you do..

Meshman I was a little confused at the end of your post. A 90 gallon tank light is cheaper than what ? I'm looking at a 46 bowface aquarium, a 55 and a 75 as of now. The 55 is a cube tank with a built in overflow at the back the other two currently aren't setup with a overflow sump system. Where can I read more about these FOWLR tanks you speak of ?

Meshman I was a little confused at the end of your post. A 90 gallon tank light is cheaper than what ? I'm looking at a 46 bowface aquarium, a 55 and a 75 as of now. The 55 is a cube tank with a built in overflow at the back the other two currently aren't setup with a overflow sump system. Where can I read more about these FOWLR tanks you speak of ?
at the bottom of your post under ifo you stated that you in the market for either a 55 or a 90 and I was just let-n ya know the bigger the tank the easier to maintain..:Buds:

Not really. Its the same length as 55, so the same lighting features will fit. It take more to fill it, but really the difference in the fish you can keep is huge. Smaller tanks are pretty limit. I personally would go with the 90 over the 55

I just bought the ATO from Pet Solutions for $89. I mean it may not be the best but it is pretty nice for $80 and not a junker at all.

Hey I would say buy the ATO and a decent feeder and test them a few times. if the feeder malfunctions just hope it is a few days in and if your tank is up for a little while the fish can eat off the rocks(maybe)

Mine already pick at stuff when it is near feeding time.

I probably don't feed them enough. I actually don't know what is the right amount to feed them anyway.

Back