Very new to reefing, help?

Tanner

Tanerious Swimeroundus
Hello, My name is Tanner. I have been breeding and keeping freshwater fish for awhile now and I feel that its time to move on to something bigger and better..not to mention more expensive. Anyway I have been reading up on saltwater aquariums and I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a site or anything with detailed instructions on getting started with a SW tank. I would also like to know what the terms Fish Only, Fish Only with Live Rock and Reef aquarium mean. (I know 2 of them are pretty self explanitory but I still would like to get as educated as possible)

And is there a site which shows a compatibility chart for Marine fish? I know I have one that is for FW fish.

Anyway , Thanks, Bye!

-tanner

well the first two are self explanatory a reef is live rock fish and corals or corals and live rock. To be honest they are kinda getting all jumbled up since most people are starting fo the fowlr then reef. Anyway besides here for information try Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information Thats Bob Fenners site imo one of the most knowledgeable people in the trade. He has a staff that answer questions you could read on their for a month straight and still have more to read. The other is ask questions the only dumb question is the one you dont ask. Everyone here is extremely helpful. Oh by the way welcome in to salt water and living reefs.

Thanks so much, I have been pondering the idea of a SW aquarium for awhile, so glad I'm actually doing it now. In your opinion what do you think is the best kind of setup to go with? FOWLR or A Reef?

well I started back in with fowlr and changed that within a few months to reef. Once you have been reading stuff and seeing all these guys pic you will end up wanting to go reef. So inmo just start out reef. The only exception to that is if you are going to go with a aggressive tank. Most triggers eat corals so cant have them together.

Hi and welcome!

Most people start with a fish only with live rock tank, and when they get comfortable with that level (fish only is pretty easy), they slowly and gradually start adding corals, which changes their tank over to a reef tank. Some people add corals after a few months, some add them right away. It's up to you to decide what interests you more, as many fish cannot be kept in a reef tank with corals.

Do you like predator fish (like hawkfish, triggers, some of the wrasses, puffers, eels, lionfish, etc) or do you like reef fish (tangs, clowns, gobies, blennies, some of the wrasses, chromis, etc). So your first step is to research which type of fish interests you most, because the vast majority of predators cannot be kept in a reef tank. If you tend to have more of an interest in corals and other inverts (clams, shrimp, crabs, starfish, etc) then a reef tank will be what you're looking for.

Wow everyone on here is so helpful haha :). Uhm well I'm so torn between the predators and the reef. Reef are so beautiful and so cool to have in your aquarium but the triggers are also nice and the puffers and lionfish are just plain awesome. Difficult decision haha.

Either way does anyone know where I can get a step by step of how to set up an aquarium (a saltwater one of course).

Welcome to saltwater/livingreefs, Tanner!

This site has a lot of helpful articles (link is at the top of your page). Here is a link to the basic equipment list here on livingreefs. Some of us started with years of freshwater experience, too. Saltwater, as you know, is just another world. From all the posts I've read here, I've found that some people may have had success using some of the equipment from freshwater, but for the most part, there's no need for biowheels and canister filters. They are replaced by a good skimmer. The whole bioball debate is always there, but in the end, it's your preference and whatever you can get to work for you. I believe a few of the members are successfully using their canister filters and bioballs. Here is another place on livingreefs with lots of useful articles (located in this forum section, under Technical Archive of Aquarium Articles)

As for me, I had bioballs in my sump. I got rid of that, and went with the skimmer and refugium route. I also ended up spending money on a good ro/di for my water needs. Saves me from running to the store everytime I need a water change. My tank is fowlr, but I will be upgrading to full reef within a year, hopefully :) So definitely what Biff said is important to pick your fish carefully if you think you'll end up going reef one day. It'll save you the trouble of finding new homes for your non-reef safe fish. Most importantly, ask ask ask :) Everyone here (as you already see) is very helpful and has so much helpful advice. So use 'em!

Thanks Jimbo, the chart I had was crappy. When it says not reef safe, does that mean the corals are in jeopardy, or the fish ?

Hi Tanner and welcome. Everyone has given you great advice already. As you start putting things together for your SW set-up then be sure to ask about specifics as there are a lot of members here which can be helpful. Your off to the right start by researching your arse off and going slow! Good luck.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to a LFS to price some things out (This fish store specializes in SW and Reef stuff so I'm very lucky). I still would like to know if anyone has a guide or a step by step to actually setting up a reef or fowlr tank. And is a 85 gallon tank enough for a good SW setup?

Welcome aboard Tanner.
Go a head and pick up "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robber Fanner.
Its pretty much the marine aquarium hobbiest bible.
It'll give you a lot detail on the set ups and how to's of the hobby.Then theres also the helpful articles here on this site.
And that 85 will make a hell of reef tank.

Thanks Bifferwine, always wondered, this is all too confusing when trying to select a fish. Especially when I go to the lfs and and get different opinions, depending on who's working at the time.

First welcome to the site
second in my opinion predator tanks are really boring if you like to see fish movement
I had a predator tank, and the only excitement is at feeding time
They are also messy eaters which contributes to algea problems
I got rid of the predator tank and went full reef w/ community fish

now keep in mind thats MY opinion and im just giving you something to think about

Enjoy the journey

Welcome tot he site and to the Salty hobby. I am also somewhat new to this Salty thing. The people who have responded will lead you in the right direction. They have me. Grab the book Biff reccomended.

When I started, at this stage, I too was overwhelmed. I had to focus on one thing at a time:

1. Set up the tank. Live Rock, Proper Salt, RO water, Research sumps, research skimmers

2. Start your cycle, purchase Salt water test stuff

3. research your corals and fish and determine what you want to do.

4. within a month to two months, focus on clean up crew (FINALLY.. something moving in your tank!)

5. By now you should know what goal your after (Reef only, FO, FOWLR, etc)

6. Slowly start purchasing your livestock.

Dane

Back