vortech owners help!

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
For my new 150 gallon long (72"), I'm trying to figure out if I should go with 2 MP40Ws or 2 MP60Ws.

Any advice??
60 is going to cost me big, but I'm not sure if the 40's would be adequate....

If you are dead set on the Vortechs (personally I wouldn't use them) you are going to need more than 2. Most likely 3-4 . 1 at each end facing in, and one or two on the back glass. Remember, the Vortechs are not directional. My bubby is running 4 MP40's on his 180, set up just as I explained.

I'm running two MP40's in a 36" wide cube. But both are in one corner. They are not running at full bore. If I was you, i'd probably start off with one MP60 on each end facing each other and see how that goes. They have a really wide spread.

FWIW, i freakin love them. The wireless controllers and backup battery system rocks. They're literally the cornerstone of my tank.

A friend ran of mine ran two MP40w's on his 210 6Lx24Wx28H, one at each end and he couldn't run them at full speed, sand storm and when he moved them up higher..they sucked in air whirlpools. I forgot which mode tho.
Note: don't use fine sand. LOL

I just put in two MP40w's on my 90 until I get my 150 5x2x2 up and running and so far I love them.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards 2 MP40s and an MP10 for the back wall. I did a google search and found some posts on RC with people saying the 60s might be overkill.
DZ, did your friend get good water movement in the middle of the tank with those?

D2, yeah, I'm going to get the battery backup for sure, but probably just for one of them.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards 2 MP40s and an MP10 for the back wall. I did a google search and found some posts on RC with people saying the 60s might be overkill.
DZ, did your friend get good water movement in the middle of the tank with those?
Sorry for the late reply back. Holidays and I did ask him for you. Yes he did. Gotta remember these puppies pushes 3200GPH each at full speed. While in reef crest mode, average of 65-70 % GPH he still was getting alot of flow which he still couldn't run at full speed. These have a wonderful wide spread of water flow unlike others that are fairly narrow. Personally, I've noticed a drop in my water temps now that 3 Koralia Evolution 1400's and 1 nano removed. :D
If you do decide to use VorTech's. You're going to love them!

14 gal, tell me more......!

sorry just got back to this you can buy the power supply plugs at any electronic hobby supplier.my buddy did his and he is an idiot lol.
1. 28.00 dollar trickle charger
2 76.00 dollar walmart car battery
3 19.00 at diy warehouse for wiring and plugs and fuse
there is a great thread on reefcentral or boston reef society about building these ups backups
my buddy is running two batteries and his 4 vortechs can run for five days.And he is running two small and two large.just called him he has to mp10s and 2 mp40s in separate tanks and the batteries are in the basement by the sump.sorry for the delay hope this helps

with the size and styles of batteries nowadays you could add this to just about any set up.if you have any space available.and there is always a matching cabinet if you are handy

Here's a question: I already have one of those back-up power batteries (not a UPS, it's larger) - it takes a charge and supposedly will power a home office for a few hours...would that work to power the vortechs for a while?

Here's a question: I already have one of those back-up power batteries (not a UPS, it's larger) - it takes a charge and supposedly will power a home office for a few hours...would that work to power the vortechs for a while?

If it is rated for a home office for a few hours it would probably run a couple vortechs for a few days anyway maybe longer.you may not realize how much power a computer draws.And the vortechs are a very small draw.so i guess my answer would be hell ya as long as you can retro an adapter harness for the vortechs.can you get any specs off of your battery unit and compare to the specs of the vortech unit to better determine run time available

Last edited:
I can't find it online, but it's a fairly large battery, about 2' tall, plugs into the wall - there are four outlets on it. Could I just plug the vortech's into that and when the power goes out, it picks up the load?

wsWEDiO0JDdCwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

D2, yeah, I'm going to get the battery backup for sure, but probably just for one of them.

I have 2 MP40s and 1 MP10 on mine. It is JUST enough. For a bigger tank, I think you'll need at least one more MP40 on 1 side.

Thanks - I ordered the 2MP40s and one MP10 - if it looks sluggish, I'll probably get one more. What are the dimensions of your tank?
What kind of sand are you using?

Back