wanting an anemone to host my clowns

joshlegs

Reefing newb
So I've got two ocellaris clowns and i really want an anemone that they'll host. I got a purple tip haitian anemone about a week or two ago and he is doing pretty good so far ... (need to upgrade my lighting soon though).

In any case, I'd like to get another anemone at some point in the near future and want to start figuring out what would go well. Any suggestions? The ones i see most often are the bubble tip anemones, though they can be pricey. And are expert level care.

So I've got two ocellaris clowns and i really want an anemone that they'll host. I got a purple tip haitian anemone about a week or two ago and he is doing pretty good so far ... (need to upgrade my lighting soon though).

In any case, I'd like to get another anemone at some point in the near future and want to start figuring out what would go well. Any suggestions? The ones i see most often are the bubble tip anemones, though they can be pricey. And are expert level care.

Pretty much all anemones are 'expert care' level creatures, they are probably some of the hardest animals to keep in the hobby. Keep in mind that just because you have an anemone does NOT mean the clowns will host it. It is entirely possible that they ignore it.

In any cass, it looks like your tank has only been wet since September, the general guideline for adding an anemone is at least 1 year so that you get through all the various break in issues of a new tank

+1 Northstar

However, if you decide to risk it and keep the anemone, a guy at our LFS taped pictures to the outside of his tank with clowns hosting an anemone. The anemone and the clowns both looked like his.

Good Luck. I wouldn't do it. If the anemone dies it can nuke everything in your tank.

Angie

Some anemones are incompatible with clowns -- the clowns do not naturally host them. Bubble tips are your best bet if you want to see that behavior, but it's possible the clowns will never go near the anemone. They may prefer to host a rock or a powerhead. :)

Here is a handy chart:
Clownfish Database

Your purple tip anemone (condylactis) is not a host to any type of clown. I have heard one or two people say that their clowns host a condy, but that's really really rare. So bubble tip is your best bet.

That said, they are not easy animals to keep. I wouldn't get one with a tank that has been only set up for a few months. And you need to upgrade your lighting before you get an anemone anyways. They require stronger lighting than most corals.

Back