Water chage Question

imdaring

love my reef
OK I'm doing my water changes every day today was day 2 I did 10 gal yesterday I did 15 gal I have a 55 gal tank is that enought per day or is it to much I don't want the tank to cycle, I'm trying to get my CAL, KH, and Nitrate down My tank is crashing I have now lost 6 coral and I think my red star is on its way out as well.. I'm ging to have my husband pick up more iodine and the coral that looks ok I'm going to do a dip on can I place my star in it?

Just curious, but why are you dipping them in iodine? Do you think you have red bugs or nudibranchs? The iodine might cause them to fall off, but it has no affect on their eggs.
What kind of iodine are you using, how much are you using and how long are you doing the dip. Dips done wrong can do more harm than good.

Brown slime as in cyano or brown slime as in brown jelly disease (LPS coral disease). Cyano is from high nutrients in your tank - high nitrate, high phosphate, high doc's (dissolved organic compounds). Best way to control it is water changes with RO/DI water, run GFO to remove any phosphates or silicates and use a quality skimmer to remove the doc's.

Iodine is only an antiseptic. A 1 time dip in iodine is pretty much useless if the coral is put back into the same tank.

One more question if it is LPS coral disease why is it affecting my Toadstools? I have had 2 Die so far and the EX lG one looks like crap but has not started to fall apart yet..

It did have a brown coating that was about 1/2 way up the trunk so I took a soft tooth brush and brushed it off it came off in like sheets now that that is gone the lg one does have the nubs coming out of the crown again. the other 2 small ones had it to but when I try'd to brush it off they started to just like disolve, my Kenya trees have it also and I brushed it off of them.. What do you think that is?

One more question if it is LPS coral disease why is it affecting my Toadstools?
If it's affecting anything other than LPS corals, it's not brown jelly disease.

Leather corals do slough off a layer of "skin" so to speak now and then. It's their way of cleaning themselves. It's quite common.
If the leather is actually falling apart, it's a water quality issue or possibly a lighting issue, but I highly doubt that.

I don't think you only have brown jelly disease going on. Like I said before, when a coral or anemone gets sick or dies, it releases tons of toxins into the water. It's those toxins that are likely harming your other animals, not just the brown jelly disease (which only affects LPS corals).

I think I had a bad batch of rotifers I target fed all the coral about 2-3 days ago and after that is when they all started to look sick. The anenmoes look fine excecept the carpet had sunk down into the sand but after yesterdays water change it has come out.. for the lighting I did order the new hood it should be here in a couple of days.. I'll test my water again a little later or do you thing I should wait till morning I did the water change around 1pm, I have my RO/DI water running and I think I have about 3 more hours B/4 it will be done for the next water change

Back