Water Changes

Turbofilledsalt

Reefing newb
I have heard everywhere about how using tap water brings in unwanted chemicals, but what I have not seen is what to use instead. Those 5 gallon refillable water jugs is the only thing I can think of. I have City water in NW Florida, and access to ground water through my lawn pump. I used my city water and a product that advertised 'cleaning' my tap water to make it aquarium safe for my initial fill. Please give me ideas of what you do or what you hear works. Thank you.

Use RODI (reverse osmosis, de-ionized). You can get RODI (or RO) water at Walmart, the grocery store, or those water machines. You can also get it at your fish stores. It's much better than tap water. Even the tap water "purifiers" or "conditioners" you mention leave a lot of crap in (they usually only neutralize chlorine and chloramine). Treated tap water is still usually filled with heavy metals, phosphates and nitrates.

You can also buy an RODI unit for your home. I got mine for around $100 (including shipping).

www.purewaterclub.com has great prices, and great quality.

What biff said.
I got my RO/DI from www.thefilterguys.biz
Great customer service, good value, and top quality filters/equipment.
www.bulkreefsupply.com is another good place to look.
I was just going to be LFS for fresh water with two 5 gallon jugs about once a week. It would cost me about $3.50 tax included for the 10 gallons and I think that was on the higher side.

The tank is not necessary. It acts as a holding container for water that you've already made, so you can have a supply on hand. Most people just make it as they need it, or store it in a 5 gallon bucket instead of using a tank.

I use a 30 gallon rubbermaid tub to keep the water. Since my rodi only makes 35 gpd, I will fill it up a couple days before a water change. I'll use maybe 20 gallons of it, and I'll just keep the remaining 10 or so for top offs the rest of the week.

Yo Turbo...

I am a newbie myself and what everyone told you is true. I normally use tap water for my freshwater along with Tetra Aquasafe. This treats both chlorine and chlormarine. It also has a heavy metal treatment. I use a phosphate absorber insert in the filter basket. Within 7-10 days it usually fine for freshwater.
I set up my saltwater before logging on here and used the same setup. I just took a sample to the LFS on Saturday and got a clean bill of health WARNING: YMMV. The only 'bad' reading I had was PH was low but since I was running a tank w/o fish or live rock all I had to do was use some marine PH up additive.
Talk to your LFS (local fish store). My LFS and Petsmart (who aren't that bad for a chain store..atleast my local one)....both said our local tap is ok...but said I should have purchased my water from them. This was, again, after I had the tank filled and running.
If I had to do it over again I would have probably gone to Walmart and purchased the water (they have Culligan type RO/DI water in 1 gallon jugs for about a dollar). I did go Sunday and purchase 5 for 'emergency' water. I have 5 gallon bucket that is ageing for my weekly change (@20% is actually 6 gallons).

Good luck...mine is chugging away waiting for the cycle to begin. I have a 29 gallon biocube with 20 pounds of live rock and two yellow tails (cheapo fish that the LFS said are as hard to kill as goldfish). I plan on some more live rock and some more critters but LFS said it could be as much as 6 weeks or longer for the full cycle...we'll see.

These guys on here are a great resource but also talk to your local fish monger...they know the local conditions and supporting them keeps them in business (everybody benefits!)...

Jay

Attachments

• Tankemail.jpg
    Tankemail.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 385
Back