Water changes

DaBrowns

Reefing newb
I am totally new to SW fishkeeping...but have a question about water changes. Basically how do we do it. For our FW tanks all we do is use the python, add tap water, pump in the correct amount of conditioner / stress reducer, and that's it. I can't imagine it's that easy for salt with the obvious addition of salt to the water. What else will we need to do??

You need to prepare the saltwater a couple days ahead of time. It takes that long for the salt to mix in correctly. If you make your own water, you cannot use tap water. You will have to buy either a tap water filter or a reverse osmosis/deionizer. Then make sure it's the correct pH and temperature before you do the water change. Or you can do what I do and buy ready made saltwater from your local fish store, then you don't have to wait while it mixes and adjusts. Then I use a python to remove water from the tank, then I slowly mix in the new water. It's not that hard, just time consuming. I put any additives into the new water before I add it to the tank to dilute them out.

Also check out the helpful articles - Beginning saltwater aquaria and go to part 6 for your specific question, however, you want to read the entire article as it covers a lot of ground that will help you. Good luck keep us posted.

hello dabrowns, Welcome to the forrums! You will find it very helpful as you get into this side of the hobby, and im willing to put my money on it that some of your other tanks will slowly become saltwater tanks as well:mrgreen:

Water changes are a process that is important to do correctly, however it is easy once youve done it a few times. As for the comment earlier that you cant use tap water, that is not true. depending on your local water supply there is rarely a time where tap water would be a problem. you will however need to treat the water just like fresh water (dechlorinate). ive run fish only and reef tanks for alot of years on strickly tap water, I never had a tank crash or show ant adverse affects after a change. However I did get a ro/di unit 6 months ago and have been using ro water ever since, honestly I havent noticed any change in my tanks enviroment. But all that said I would still recomend you buy a RO/DI simply cause it is safer if you decide on going with a reef tank, Thats the only reason I bought one (when youve got more invested in your tank than your new car you need alittle insurance).
The important things to remember are make your water a day or two in advance. most people buy a brute trash can from a hardware store, add the salt mix to the can to get the desired salinity. if you have a powerhead put it in the water to help mix the water and keep the water moving. also a small heater would help to get that water to the same temperature as the tank. before you add the water to the tank take a quick test of the salinity and ph, if there fairly close then your set.
A last piece of advice I give everyone, Never do anything based on one persons opinion (including me) Ive been in it long enough to see alot of disaster because people gave poor advice, and the bottom line is you invested the money, so when something dies your the one who lost. So get second opinions and do your research. Once you see what works for your tank you will have a blast, its very adictive and well worth the investment.
Hope things go well for you
Bryan

I agree with everything Iron said if that helps give you a second opinion.

Tap water can be used if you know what your doing and know that your tap is free of excess copper, phosphates, nitrates, heavy metals, etc. Like bryan I used tap water years before switching to RO/DI and it was primarily only as a safty blanket lots of $$$ in the tank these days.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I Also agree RO/DI water is the way to go When I keeping freshwater tank I was using tap water and had a problem with amm. I keep changing water to bring it down it would not go down. Then I tested the tap water and found where why I had a problem. It was in the tap water. I now get ro/di water from lfs for 25 cents a gallon. But it also needs to be tested to make sure the keep filters changed. I hope this helps.

hmmm.. and I been buying my ro water from wally world for 33 cents a gallon. Been using distilled water for a month or so though ,seems to work just as good.

I was also getting it from wally world till I found that it is cheeper at lfs and maybe cleaner. I was not sure about distilled I belived it was bad.

Back