Water changes........

jahdisp25

Reefing newb
Ok my tank has been up and running for 2 weeks now. and I guess it's time to do a partial water change? I have a 29 gallon tank, so would a 5 gallon change be ok?

What about changing my filter media, should I change that too?

Also what about adding the water, is it best to add the new water a little at a time since it will be at a diff temp or is it best to just let it sit at room temp for a day? Im gonna be adding my first 2 fish tomorrow or Friday.

I have a 29 also. I mix water in a 5G bucket, add airstone and heater. A day later, I look in bottom for any white residue, if there is any, I slowly pour the water into another bucket leaving the residue in old bucket. Match temperature to within one degree and match salinity also very close. They do not have to match perfectly. If the temperature is to low, I put the bucket in a hot tub until the temperature matches. Do not let it go over. A lid on the bucket will keep the water temp very constant.

Do water change by putting tank water in an empty 5G bucket. Try to take out exactly the same you intend to put in. I like to stir up detritus so when I take water out I take detritus out with it. After adding new water, you may have to add a small amount of old water to bring water level up to right level.

Yes change or clean media.

I suggest you unplug everything before the water change, especially if you are a beginner.

WAIT!

if the tank has only been up and running for 2 weeks, i'd bet its not cycled yet, and a waterchange is kinda pointless,

also, if the above is true, then its still too early to be adding fish...

+1 project. yes, a water change now will only prolong the cycling process of your tank. Wait until its fully cycled and all your params are good then do a water change. Only after that should you be adding a CUC or any livestock. 5g will be fine for a water change. I have a 14g BC and do 4g every week. With that small of a tank it's important to do frequent water changes to keep the tank stable. Good luck!

+1 water changes will prolong cycling. Mine cycled in less than 2 weeks but the only way to know for sure is to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Back