Water Disaster

agould53

Reefing newb
I've been using dip strips to test my water and thought they were highly inaccurate. But today I purchased an actual test kit and it confirmed the dip test readings. My water is terrible but the fish seem okay. Ammonia: .0-.25; Nitrites: over 1; Nitrates: 50-250; pH: below 7.4; alk: normal.

The tank has been established for about 2 months. Nothing has died and everyone's active, eating, etc. The trigger is a little pale and might have ich (few small white spots), but he's eating, moving sand, picking on the hermit crabs, rocks, etc. (I think that's healthy behavior for him).

I've been doing 10-20% changes weekly, using water from the beach (remote area on Oahu's North Shore).

Any suggestions?

Could it be the HOB filter?

Feeding too messy? The trigger and eel are both messy.

Thanks in advance!

You put too many fish in your tank too quickly. Did you cycle your tank before you added any livestock?

Your trigger and butterfly both require larger tanks to do well. Your trigger is most likely stressed (which is why he has ich) from being in a tank that does not provide enough swimming room.

Did you take these animals from the ocean? Or buy them from a store? I would highly, highly recommend taking them back to the store if that is where you got them.

HOB filters are generally detrimental to water quality in this hobby. How often do you change your filter pads?

Thanks...yeah I remember your comment on the trigger when I joined. Everything I have came from the reef near my house. I will probably give the trigger to my friend who has a larger aquarium. I will also probably invest in an Octopus HOB skimmer and lose the filter.

Is 3 fish and the small eel too much for a 55gal? Doesn't seem like a lot.

I think I will reduce feedings and increase water changes and see if that helps w/the water.

Thanks again.

You don't have too many fish, just too many fish to start with. After your tank cycles you should only add one fish every 3-4 weeks. This gives your tank's bio-load a chance to adjust.

I agree with the others. You should bump up water change to 30 to 40% once or twice a week to get your parameters in check. Is it a pain for you to get water from the ocean? If so, you may want to look into being able to make your own at home.

I would do a 50% water change BUT make sure the temp, salinity and Ph match precisely.

You can use baked baking soda to raise Ph.

Is 3 fish and the small eel too much for a 55gal? Doesn't seem like a lot.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but what I was saying was your tank is too small for how the fish behave. Butterflies, triggers and other "large" fish need more swimming room than a clown or a chromis does. They need tank length and depth to be happy.
A basic rule of thumb for saltwater is one small fish for every ten gallons. In your tank you would be limited to 6 small fish.
The eel will also eventually out grow the tank.
Since you removed these animals from the ocean, be aware that you cannot put them back now. It is your responsibility to find them proper homes.

In the meantime, water changes.

Did a 20% change earlier this evening, changed my filter pads, and just ordered my Reef Octopus BH 100F skimmer. Once the skimmer arrives, I'll get rid of the filter I'm currently using. Also plan on another 20% change tomorrow.

All the fish still seem to be doing fine. No more spots on Duke (the trigger) and the butterfly actually had a pretty big appetite this evening.

Thanks for the advice!

I agree with the others. You should bump up water change to 30 to 40% once or twice a week to get your parameters in check. Is it a pain for you to get water from the ocean? If so, you may want to look into being able to make your own at home.
I live in a fairly secluded area on the beach. I use 5 gal water bottles to collect the water. It's a pain, but I think better than making my own. Thanks, and of course, feel free to offer any advice you have.

I live in a fairly secluded area on the beach. I use 5 gal water bottles to collect the water. It's a pain, but I think better than making my own. Thanks, and of course, feel free to offer any advice you have.

The problem with sea water is that you might introduce some parasites into your system. (North shore? I used to live in Waianae).

Back