water flow how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment' started by ADT, Mar 9, 2007.

1. ADT

ADT

i have a total gph on my canister filter of 350 and my skimmer is 211 with the rio 800 is this too much flow? my tank is 47 i have not seen any bad signs but i want to be positive.

ADT, Mar 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ADT

adampw

You can really never have too much flow. The more the better. From what I have read, you want to try and aim at turning your tank water over at bare minimum 6-10 times per hour. Your Rio 800 powerhead is 211gph. You have a total of 772 gallons per hours. You tank water is being turned over 16.4 times per hour. Depending on what kind of tank you have (Fish-only, FOWLR, Reef), a lot of people go for 15-20 times per hour. In other words you should be just fine. Some people will say you can never have to much flow, some will say you can.

adampw, Mar 9, 2007
    ADT likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. ADT

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

The best way to tell if you have to much flow is when your sand doesnt stay on the bottom of your tank.Then you have a little to much.

yote, Mar 9, 2007
    ADT likes this.
  4. ADT

jermpool NAAO President

I had a 20 gal with 330 gph and it always stayed clean until my phosphates got out of control. I say the more flow the better.

jermpool, Mar 9, 2007
    ADT likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question