Water flow

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
I am now certain from personal experience that high water flow is one of the best ways to keep algae growth down.

I was doing consistent twice per week water changes for about two months and the algae stayed low. But when i failed to do so and only changed once per month, algae grew like crazy. But, after i increased my water level all algae seems to be doing off and i havent done a single water change in 5 weeks.

I'm going to increase it a little bit more. But i was wondering one thing...i notice that my fish dont really swim too close to the powerheads because of the strong push, will this affect my yellow tang because he is getting less room to swim? He is avoiding going close to the power heads. Or is this something he will adjust to? Poweheads have been running only 3 days.

i would assume so because tangs love lots of flow and all of mine swim right up to the front of my korilia 4 and my power heads and just swim in it for a long time

What kind of powerheads are you running?I noticed when I was running M-Js that my fish tryed to avoid the flow.But with the koralias they seem to like swimming in it.

Cant agree more. Only problem is some corals just are not going to do well with a lot of flow. This is why I consider lagoonal schemed tanks to be one of the more problematic.

Over the years I have found high flow sps bare bottom tanks with a remote dsb to be some of the easiest to maintain provided fish load is kept low.

hello everyone , my 75 has 20 gal sump 750 gph for my return, 2 maxi 1200 mods, 1 pointing down in the middle , one pointing up to the back and a koralia 4 on the side pointing up to the front. a few soft corals . galaxea, 2 leathers frogspawn, no algie and nothing is being blown away. only been at this 4 months and spent every dsy getting it just right. mabe in 5 to 10 years i will be there lol. but in mho if you point them right and move your corals to just the right place more flow is better. jmo

one thing that i have noticed is that now that i have redone my tank and stand, and now have a larger sump and 2 return pumps along with my own version of powerheads, i have far less red and brown junk on the bottom of my tank, there are a few spots, but you can tell its where there is less flow...

on my system i have:
1 rio 2500 return pump (roughly 350 gph)
1 rio 2100 return pump (roughly 275 gph)
2 66gph "powerheads"
1 149gph "powerhead"

i would like to replace the rio pumps with one of my newly found 1600gph pumps and see how that performs, i figure with head loss i should get something around 800gph, i'd like to take about half of this and split it into 2 loclines at 200gph each, and then take the other half and run it through a sqcd or whatever that thing is called, the wave thingy... and maybe add a couple more powerheads...

Back