Water Flow

beancntr

Back into Salt
This is a similar question to knowing how much light one needs, but how do you know if you have enough water flow from the power head in your tank? I put in a uv steralizer and now I'm afraid my rio 1600 isn't enough. I can still see little ripples at the top of the tank, but don't really see movement along the rock. Should I get a bigger pump to accomodate the uv?

BTW, my tank is on it's way to recovery from the Attack of the Green Monster. It almost looks pretty again, but lost my 2 precious clowns. Don't know why. Thought it might be ich, but never saw any spots. They just one day hung out at the bottom and stopped eating. One was never found. :( All others doing A-ok. The cleaner even molted.

Cyndi

Hey Bean,
The Rio1600,is that the return pump and is it going to the UV before returning water back to the DT?If thats all you using then you will probably need a couple powerheads.Aim then near the surface to cause surface agitation on oppsite ends of the tank.

Depending on whats in your budget try these;
Maxijet 900(15.00 each)
Hydor Koralia 3(50.00 each)**still on backorder from all the online stores**
Tunze(even more expensive)

Do you have coral yet,what kind and what kind are you planning to keep?That can be deciding factor on how much flow you will need.Its best to have as much flow without kicking up the sand.

Best of Luck Cyndi(Beany)

Ps....my name is Dominick by the way.

The rio sits in the sump, connected to the uv, connected to the power head going to the dt. Yes, that's all I have. No corals yet...not sure what kind I will get yet. I have one maxijet I use in my water change bucket for mixing water. I don't like the bubbles that it throws. I will have to do some research into the others.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi Bean
I think that its recommended to have 10 to 20 times the turnover rate of water flow.So for a 72gal you'll want around 1440 GPH for most SPS,and a little bit less for LPS and softies.
Personaly Im running 2 maxi-jet 1200's in my 55,did have 4 but couldnt keep my sand on the bottom.

beancntr said:
Would you recommend 1 or 2 of the Koralia 3 or 1 of the Koralia 4?

From what I read on other sites;

2 Koralia 2 for mainly softies
2 Koralia 3 for softies and LPS(I think thats what I'm going with)
2 Koralia 4 for SPS dominant tanks

Certainly one of the 3 or 4 will work.Maybe try one,and if its not enough order another one(yeah I know,extra shipping charges)or order two and ship one back if its to much flow than what you were looking for.

Everybody set up is a little different so I can't be 100% sure on your exact flow and needs/wants are.

I like the fact they are submersible. I was thinking 2 of the #3's as well. I like the Streams, but not as versatile. Thanks for your input.

Before buying the Koralia 3 bean....look at the Tunze Nanostreams at Marinedepot.com.,a little smaller but more costly.They also have the magnet mounts.

6025(660gph)......$67.00
6045(1189gph).....$97.00

Just a thought

Back