Water loss

Yogatoy

Reefing newb
Hey there. In my 200gal tank I have 2 metal halide lights that give off a ton of heat, this results in a huge water loss. I add about 5 gals of new water every 2-3 days. Is this normal and if it is do i have to do water changes as often. I know I should do a 20% water change every week or so but because I'm adding new water (10-15gals) every week do I need to do such a large water change.

Yeah you would still need to do water changes. The new saltwater adds new essential elements back into the tank. : ]

It is normal to have that much water loss from evaporation.
You still have to do weekly water changes to keep nitrates down cause those do not evaporate out of the tank with the water. That is one of the reasons that a ATO(auto top off) system is so good it keeps your tank from having swings that can be harmfull to your fish.

auto top off it replaces water that evaperates out of the tank from a holding contanier
do you have a sump ? if so pm me and i will give you some links and directions on where to get the parts you need and how to put it together. If you do one you just have to fill your ato I use a 5 gallon bucket from home depot like once a week.

ATO is Auto Top Off system. It's basically a small pump attached to a sensor that fills your tank when the water drops to a certain level.

Be sure you are replacing the evaporated water with fresh water, not salt water. Only water evaporates. The salts and nutrients get left behind. So it doesn't change anything as far as water changes go.

Back