Water Quality and intro?

chbix

Reefing newb
I am new to the saltwater tanks. I currently have a 55 gal freshwater, and my awesome future wife bought me another 55 gal tank to do saltwater, a fluval G6, skimmer, some power heads, heaters etc.

So im taking my time, wanted to do a FOWLR tank, but the future wife informed me she wanted pretty coral.

So my main question for this post is about water quality. I live in an area with terrible water, my TDS meter red about 450 which from my prior research is bad. I bought a used RO, cheap for like $20. It says kent on the side thats it, it only appears to be a two stage, the filter says its a 12gpd filter. So after running a test batch through the RO i get down to the high 70's on the TDS.

Is high 70's ok for a reef tank or FOWLR?

I went to the local walmart and got some water out of their culligan machine, brought it home and tested and it read in the 10's. What about this level? I really dont want to buy water from them every week for water changes. I was considering getting the water from culligan for the inital fill and then use the RO di to fill up a 55 gallon drum or two since a 12gpd will take a while to get the water levels I need?

Any input on the TDS? Should I try new filters? \

Thanks guys

I don't think a two-stage is going to cut it. You can either buy the water from a store, or buy a better RODI unit. You can get a good unit for $100 to $200.

The Filter Guys
www.filterdirect.com
P U R E W A T E R C L U B

You do not want to use tap water for a reef tank unless you treat it with an RODI unit first. Using tap water will make it very difficult for you to keep inverts and corals, and will lead to algae problems.

Water in the 10s is fine. If you get your own RODI unit, you should be able to get it down to less than that, even. Plus, a 12 gpd unit is not sufficient for a tank your size (as you have seen!) The companies I linked to sell 100 to 150 gpd units, which are much better.

Also, do research before you buy lights. Too many people buy cheap lights when they are first starting out, only to find out they have to replace them a few months down the road in order to keep corals. Corals need a lot of light -- any old freshwater hood will not be sufficient.

For a 55 gallon tank, a good set of T5 lights will be perfect.

Welcome to the site!

Well there is another $150 or so for an RO/DI .... Ohh well.
Yes the tank came with a cheap 48" hood like is on my freshwater, and as soon as she said coral i saw the $$ signs fly away and looked at some T5 lights. But we will see.

I thiknk id rather get the RO/DI then have to buy and cart gallons of water home from the store.

I know everything, especially the cost of everything looks daunting right now but, the most important thing you need to remember is:
but the future wife informed me she wanted pretty coral.
So, every purchase you make for the tank can be justified with, Well hunny you wanted corals so I needed to buy this or that. :Cheers:

Haha just kidding but, Welcome to the site and the hobby!

I notice no one seems to be mentioning pre-mixed salt water. There are several stores in my area that sell it at $0.99 gal. I think that is darn good personally but what do I know.

I notice no one seems to be mentioning pre-mixed salt water. There are several stores in my area that sell it at $0.99 gal. I think that is darn good personally but what do I know.

That's certainly an option, but it's a bit more convenient to just make your own rather than have to load and unload, travel time, etc. I'm a little on the paranoid side, when you make your own water you know what you're getting, when you buy it, there could be alot of things going on that you don't know about.

I was doing that myself for about 2 months until a bucket fell over in my trunk and caused $400 in damage.. Now, I make my own :-)

For a true reefer.Those trips to the LFS to get water are gonna get very expensive.
You walk in with your jugs.While waiting on them to be filled,you start looking at the new livestock that just came in.Before you know it,that trip for water $10 worth of salt water has cost you an additional $150 to $200 because you just couldnt resist those new frags.

It is too pricey. Even if you only do a 10 gallon water change a week, that's $10 a week. You could buy your own RODI unit for $150 and have it pay for itself in under 4 months. Buying saltwater from the LFS is not a viable long-term solution unless you have money to throw away, or a very small tank.

Plus, I've seen too many instances where people are buying pre-made water from their LFS, dumping it in their tanks, and then finding out later on there's something wrong with that water. You are not in control of what you are putting in your tank if you are just relying on someone else to make it for you... If you are going to buy water from the LFS, be sure to test it. It can have high nitrates and phosphates, and it's temp and salinity can be off.

Last edited:
The LFS is about an hour away, so pre mixed salt water is not going to happen. Plus I know my impulse buying would kick in like the above post mentioned

I got a new one from purewater club off ebay, it is a 4 stage. Didnt see this until after, oh well. It will be better than what I have going on now.

Back