water quality

ToddMc

Reefing newb
hello I have a question about the ro systems I know that most everything I am reading is talking about tap water so that leads me to this question.when I was raising discus there also was a lot of talk about the RO system and i understand the concept.But what about those of us that have well water?I raised my discus on it and never had a problem.I know I am comparing apples to oranges but what do you guys think..and please feel free to be as specific as you can ..Thanks Todd

why not send a sample of your well water out for testing and bump your results against what the sample of RODI water is?

Have your well water tested for phosphorous ( phosphates ). the local water company can do that. If there are none,then I'd say your well water would be fine.

Well water tends to be higher in minerals than tap water. That can be a bad thing. But it's hard to say because every water supply is different.

Get a RO/DI and be done with it. Saltwater is much more sensitive.
The only problem is you may need a pump if you don't have enough water pressure which is common with well water.

Also if you are running well water and there are alot of farms in the area, the fertilizer could be leeching into the ground water supply and would just be fueling a huge algae outbreak. IMO, test the TDS of both your city water and well water and run the lower of the two through an RO unit. This will get the best water quality.

Back