Water Readings!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok so I finally found out that I can just go to Coral Corral and get all the Salifert Test kits I need and not have to wait for backorder junk.

I also found out they sell the 200Gal Reef Salt for $50 and I do not have to order that either like I was. It is $70 for a 160Gal Mix at the LFS so I get the extra 40Gal of mix for $20 less and ordering it online was about $53 on average for the bucket.

No wait no hassle, just cut the bag and refill the bucket. Tip from the owner.

So I tested all the water with the Salifert Tests.

I still use the API for Ammonia and Nitrite and Nitrates at times but I snagged a Nitrate, PH, Alk, and Calcium and already had a Magnesium from Salifert.

So here they are.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
PH - 8.0
Alk - 9.1DKH
Mag - 1245 - Already got my mix ready to bump it up to 1400
Calcium - 400

All that with crushed coral heehee.

I mostly just do 20% a week and add my epsom salt mix when needed for mag. Oh and like 2 times a month I toss purple up in just one dose if any.

I think the Dr. Time waste-away is helpful and is just natural bacteria.

Still lookin for a 180gal but I know someone who may be able to get me wholesale costs on acrylic sheets so if it is cheap enough who knows.

That sounds great, good job on keeping a stable tank :) you should only bring your mag up to 1350 though, it doesnt need to be higher than that.

Ok so 0 on the phosphates and my calcium is the 400 so I just dosed some purple up for now.

I did a 20% since I checked it the other day so I added t anyway. It can't hurt so what the hey.

I don't ever do anything for calcium but that once in a blue moon. I want to get something good for the calcium but haven't decided what yet but it is almost always 400-420 with nothing.

If it's 400 to 420, then it's perfectly fine. No need to dose. Don't waste your money dosing for things that your tank doesn't need. :)

I keep my calcium anywhere above 400 and my alkalinity is maintaining a reading above 9, and mag I dont want higher than 1350, if you keep it at that level and have 0 bad stuff in the tank, you can really have some crazy sps growth :D

No, they don't have to be. But SPS do much better in low-nutrients systems with 0 nitrates. Some SPS are more sensitive than others, and with some corals although they may survive, you may see browning out, or a lack of growth if you have nitrates.

A lot of people use purple up but I only use it rarely not the daily it says to. I only use it if the calcium dips under 400 and it goes up just a hair it seems. It doesn't have junk in it from what it says but you would have to.read up on it to see what calcium is in it.

You shouldnt need to dose calcium unless you have quite a bit of sps or clams. Water changes will replenish your calcium.

I have just started dosing because my tank is becoming sps heavy.

Do you do a water change every week? and under 400 is fine as long as it isnt much under. Not a big deal.

20% a week but I was going to start 20% every 2 weeks or 10% a week but now I will be getting a 180gal so ill see what happens then.

Back