Water Replenish

tritan

Reefing newb
So I finally have my 110 gallon up and running and I knew I would have to pour in water from evaporation but I am replenishing close to a gallon a damn day! My fuge is only half covered and I expected a little more than normal but wow. I guess I need to retro something better to cover the fuge.

Check your own humidity in your house, if you can increase your house humidity, til the tank balances, then it will slow down, then you can reduce your house slowly, to the point it can balance a little bit better. Also if you have forced air heating, watch where your registers are, and maybe reduce the vent flow around your tank.

Evaporation is just part of this hobby. Its a bad idea to cover your tank because you will get issues with gas exchange and you can end up suffocating your fish and corals.

Yeah, I was just going to cover the fuge, not the display tank. I was reading that people have been able to cut down a ton of evaporation by keeping the fuge mostly covered.

I live in Maryland where it is humid as hell. I guess all that damn humidity is good for something.

Is there a science to water changes and the salinity the replacement water should be? What salinity should the replacement water be that wont throw off the tanks salinity level. If I am not mistaken the water evaporates and leaves the salt so just dumping in water of the same salinity will eventually cause a salt overdose. I'm just curious if anyone has it to a science or if its all trial and error.

all water added to replenish lost water should be plain ro/di water never add salt to it..
The only time salt is added is when doing water changes..

My 125g loses around what you do...I have an auto top off system, so I don't really think about it. But before I had a top off, I knew where my water level should be and just top off to there.

Wow, I never realized how many factors effect the evaporation rate. I hardly have to top off my 29 gal biocube. I have to add less than 1/2 gallon between weekly water changes.

My 125g loses around what you do...I have an auto top off system, so I don't really think about it. But before I had a top off, I knew where my water level should be and just top off to there.

Can you use an auto top off system if you don't have a sump? Thinking about taking a vacation soon. Otherwise on a 55 gal do you think if I have someone come over every other day to top off there would be too high of a swing in salinity? I do it at least once a day now.

Can you use an auto top off system if you don't have a sump? Thinking about taking a vacation soon. Otherwise on a 55 gal do you think if I have someone come over every other day to top off there would be too high of a swing in salinity? I do it at least once a day now.

Sure you can, you would just need to be sure you have a pump that can get the water from your reservoir into the display or if its temporary you could place the reservoir on a chair or something next to the display.

Down south here I lose about 1/2 gallon a day in my 90. I use an ATO that pumps from a 5 gallon container to my sump as needed. I have to manually refil that container by pumping in RODI since ny purification system is in another room. One day I'll plumb it directly.

Which does everyone find more of a drain? Heating or AC?

Down south here I lose about 1/2 gallon a day in my 90. I use an ATO that pumps from a 5 gallon container to my sump as needed. I have to manually refil that container by pumping in RODI since ny purification system is in another room. One day I'll plumb it directly.

Which does everyone find more of a drain? Heating or AC?

Depends on the type of heating. Forced air heat dries up more than baseboard heat does. AC sucks moisture out of the air also. I tend to have more evaporation during the winter months just because the air outside is drier than during the summer when it is very humid.

Back