Water treatment instead of water changes

Even if it works well and removes the harmful things from the water, you still need to do water changes to replace trace elements Plus it looks like its just the same bacteria that you should already have in your system if you're using live rock and live sand

Replacing trace elements is far less expensive, and far less dangerous using water changes than it is dosing a bunch of things that are difficult to test for

Last edited:
I see that the positive here is that you get rid of all the problems that you can have while you water changing. You have always to test, and most of the time you need to fix something. The tap water issue, the nitrate and PH issues, all solved in 6 shots.

The negative is that you don't changing your tank's water for a year, and you are using the same water all the time.

It seems like the negative here is also a positive! So i am asking why not to use it? If there is any danger of using it i would like to know it now.

You will still need to test - this product won't eliminate the need to test your water. In fact, forgoing water changes due to using a product like this would INCREASE your need to test IMO. I wouldn't take the companies word that the product works as well as they say it does

You will also still need to test for Calcium and Alkalinity, and if you aren't changing water at regular intervals you will need to start dosing these two things at a minimum (and again we arent even talking about trace elements here). Getting a two part solution mixed up, and dosed correctly is not a 5 minute project, and to me is acutally more tedius than a water change. I can change out 20% of the water on my 180 in about 20 minutes - changing water really isn't that big of a deal

As far as the tap water thing, stop using it and you'll solve a lot of your problems. Get yourself an RO/DI system and call it a day.

There are more effective, proven ways to deal with phosphates and nitrates in an aquarium IMO, including feeding less, macro algae, and GFO/Bio Pellets - which have an established performance over many years

It does make sense! Since i know from experience that the short way is sometimes the longest, and that's why i came here to ask, i will listen to your advise.

Is there a cheaper way to get RO water? I heard several things about it. It takes about 8-9 gallons to process to get one gallon of RO water, is it true? Doe's distilled water as good as RO water? Drinking water, like Poland Spring, is good enough for getting best results with your tank?

Thanks for helping by the way.

I think it's more like 4 or 5 to 1 not 8 or 9. Save the water for washing water etc if you are worried about the waste water.

I

making the water colder seems to increase the good output to input ratio.

However, there are no good shortcuts in this hobby. I think this product is just looking for people who dont have any clue what they are doing and will cause them more problem in the end. If there was a good magic fix like this out there, we would all be using it.

So where the water goes? I mean, the RO water exit through the main pipe of it, but where goes the wasted water? And if the water goes to the large can that comes with it, it will be full in about every gallon or two...

I have one more question.

The RO systems comes with more than 1-2 filter tubes. Do i need all of them, or some are not necessary? I will build it by myself because i need 2 of them and it is expensive. My 75 gallon tank is in my parents house...

You want at least a 4 stage RO/DI system, but a 5 or a 5 stage would be better. The waste water comes out of a line off of the DI Filter, and you can just pipe it down the drain, or you can save it for other things (doing wash, watering flowers/plants/trees etc)

As far as using distilled or drinking water, I think some people do that, but once you get past the initial purchase price of your own unit, it will be far cheaper than buying bottled drinking water

The key to a effective, healthier fish tank is in keeping good water quality for the creatures in your care. When the KH is low, it can cause issues to both fish and plants because the pH is responsible to ‘swing’ i.e. modify quickly.
I never listen about this before. However, I review that product. Not a bad in this regard.

I believe this product could work as it says it does.
However that is not to say there is not more to pay attn to. Like Northstar mentioned.

Imo i think these products need to give specifics on what they include, not just tell u what they do.

You STILL need to test your water.

It sounds like they add alot to maintain their system in a similar mannor as I do..
Its about dosing beneficial bacteria( beneficial bacteria beeing added is to insure healthy populations of the bacteria we want and to out-compete with those we dont, like cyano) and boosting bacteria populations artificially high therefore making decoposition faster/more efficient. Also making water clearer.

This method should go hand and hand with a good protien skimmer.

I would not reccomend it for a replacement of all things like you seem to be hinting at. I can go long periods of time without water changes.. But that also come with some experience in knowing what your tank needs. And I still do water changes anyways just because and to make sure everything balances, mostly for replenishing the things that are hard for us to test.

Last edited:
Would an RO filter remove salt from the water? If not what would be the case of running an RO Filter kind of like a HOB

You dont attach it to your tank. You attach it to one of your regular water lines. You remove the impurities before they make it in your tank

Back