Water

jivephish

Reefing newb
Going to be starting my saltwater tank next week, and im curious to find out where you get your water from to start the tank? I dont want to do tap cause i dont feel like filtering it and curing it, so i'm thinking about just buying 20 gallons of distilled water from the super market, you guys think this will be alright? Im curious to know what you guys personally use...

You should never use tap water for your tank it carries to many contaminates. I use RO water but the di water you get from walmart for about .65 will work fine. Walmart also has a ro machine were water is 33 cents here but you need to bring youe own containers. Most LFS's carry Ro water to.

I been using the RO water out of the machine at wal-mart.Used destilled too,but I think the water out of the machine is a little bit better(cheaper)

The supermarket is fine and Wally world too.I personally buy my saltwater made up already from the LFS.$1.00 a gal for salt and .65 for freshwater.

I also buy my water pre-made from the LFS. 75 cents per gallon for salt and 25 cents per gallon for fresh I think. I come home and do water changes right away, it's nice to have the water already at the correct salinity, pH and temperature.

Im with Biff. I buy my water premixed from my LFS. 5 gallons for 3 bucks for salt 5 gallons of fresh for a dollar. I have the stuff to do it mysel but its not cost effective. I bought a half dozen of really nice 5 gallon containers for 8 bucks a piece.... worth every penny.

For those who are buying RO water, I would think about investing in an RO unit. It will be more cost effective in the long run. Between water changes and top-off, buying the water will add up.

You are very right, however for me its not that bad right now. I'm starting school and pet co is very close also I get about a 30 min break between my classes and the ro there is .08 a gal so buying it for me is about the same as having a RO unit when you count in the cost of replacing filter membrains, however, if the cost goes up then it would be worth it for me to invest in a unit. Untill then I'm good. LOL

Oh and there RO is good I have been using it for a few months now and no probs.

not to mention the gas you may have to spend to get to and from where you buy your RO water. having the filter unit in your home is well worth the investment.
you got it good bobby! .08 a gallon?! my lfs sells it for .68 a gallon and i gotta drive 15 min for it. thats alot of gas money once it adds up

Last edited:
Yea its good for the time being. Petco is about 10min or less from the college, and as long as it stays at .08 which it has for atleat 4 months now maybe longer I'm ok. But if anyone has to drive or pay alot per gal then I would deffenatly buy one.

I didnt know petco sold RO. Sweet theres one like 2 miles from here. But do you trust them to keep up on there RO system maintence. Youve seen there saltwater tank.

My petco doesnt advertise it I had to ask. There tank might be bad just due to poor husbandry.

Sounds good dave glad you got good water and hope the tank gos good for you.

Salty,Newb...I'm lazy.I don't make special trips to LFS for water and when I do go,I buy enough water for 3 months worth of waterchanges and evaporations.I made my water before...salt mixes are just inconsistent(i.e. calcium,etc).The store I buy it from adjust everything perfectly,PH,AK,Calcium,SG exactly where it should be.I been using it for too long and with great results.

Last edited:
Your right there not that bad airwaterice.com also has a good deal but try telling my wife there not that high.LOL

For those of you who buy R.O, do you have access to a TDS meter?

yes

I would be interested to see what the store water reads.

0-8ppm

One more thing, R.O water shouldn't be set around for long periods of time, it can grow bacteria easy.

In a sealed container and out of light,you can keep it for a long time.Bacteria doesn't harm the water

R.O systems are not that expensive concidering it is one of the most important parts to a marine aquarium.There not expensive...I'm just lazy
Kent Marine Deluxe Hi-S 24 GPD RO System - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store

:twocents:

Last edited:
Back